Minor reloading equipment mishap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
The other day I decided I had some spare time and it would be a good time to make up some 30-06 bullets for my auto loader. I started resizing brass with my small base dies. Half way through the process on piece didn't feel right. I should have stopped, but no, I had to press on. Sure enough the next one stuck in the die :? . Haven't had this happen often but it has in the past. Anyway, I found my stuck brass removing tool and started the procedure. Drilled a whole through the back of the brass and started using the tap. It was getting pretty tight and I should have backed off, but, OH NO, NOT ME :oops: . Well, sure enough the tap broke off flush with the brass. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it out. I had to bite the bullet :wink: and take the whoe works to my gun smith. Of course he got it out, cleaned up the die and sent me on my merry way, $10 lighter. He also told me where I could get a new tap for my remover. The whole experience cost me $18 and and hour lost in the reloading room and reminded me to make sure all my brass is lubed :wink:

Good deal Raf, I have broken presses so a stuck brass in a die is just a bump in the road.

Latest posts

Back