MK85 barrel twist?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just my opinion. Nothing classier than an MK-85 blued with the walnut stock. It is one of the variations I'm still looking for.

Well, after a morning of cleaning I’ve never seen so much crap come out of a barrel. End result was a perfect barrel no pitting. I think what I was seeing was just the fouling? All he ever shot were conicals so a lot of lead in the barrel I think.

I didn’t pull the Breech plug since I didn’t have a tool or socket handy.

Busta said:
The rifle itself is a little rough around the edges, but the Timney Trigger is probably worth the $75 asking price. The crack in the stock is probably from someone forgetting there is a set screw in the back left side of the receiver that locks the old plunger/strikers in position. There is evidence in your pictures that indicate that someone tried to use pliers or similar to remove it, probably while still in the stock, thus cracking it. Happens more than you would think on these older models.

Looks like an early 90's rifle to me, with a 8 land and groove barrel. Delrin ramrod, Williams Sights, Timney Trigger with the crescent safety lever, Knight MML logo stamp are the same as the late 80's with the 6 land and groove barrels, but the 8 land and groove barrel says 1990 or newer. Should be a 1:28 twist, without any doubt. Serial number should be higher than 7000?

Those 8 packs of White/MTI 480gr Power Punch Bullets are also worth more than the $75 asking price. You certainly didn't get hurt at $30.

Not a show piece anymore, but could still shoot just fine? Clean up the bore, and shoot it like you stole it! :wink:

Serial # in the 15,000.

Since there’s only $30 invested and after discovering the barrel is perfect I might sand the stock down and refinish it.

Gotta be happy about that! :yeah: :yeah:
Some TLC and you will like have a super nice rifle. The blued/walnut is a nice combo with a classic look.

idahoron said:
If it were me I would run do several hundred strokes with JB bore paste. Then I would get a new stock. This laminated one is 49 dollars. They have other parts there too.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/529860

That’s a great price. The plan is to shoot it and if it shoots good I’ll either put a scope or peep on it then look into getting a new stock. I would like to get the same mold you’re using and paper patch this gun as well. I have too many projects. This one fell in my lap, while i’m just getting started with my Sleeper Hawken build.

Jackalope said:
idahoron said:
If it were me I would run do several hundred strokes with JB bore paste. Then I would get a new stock. This laminated one is 49 dollars. They have other parts there too.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/529860

That’s a great price. The plan is to shoot it and if it shoots good I’ll either put a scope or peep on it then look into getting a new stock. I would like to get the same mold you’re using and paper patch this gun as well. I have too many projects. This one fell in my lap, while i’m just getting started with my Sleeper Hawken build.

Bummer we didn’t know this when i sent you the RCBS 11MM mold and Paper Patch Template, i have a Lee S&W 500 mold as well that i would have given you free, We can stil make that happen if you pay the shipping.

I agree with Ron on JB bore pasting that bore, if JB is not available and Montana Extreme bore polishing Compound is, go that route. Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound is the equivalent to, or possibly better than JB, BUT before i did that i would wrap some Copper Chore Boy around a worn bore brush and go to town on it, 50-100 strokes, keep replenishing the Chore Boy as you feel the need, Then move on to polishing the bore with JB, or Montana Extreme. I’d bet that rifle will shoot fine! I cleaned up a BADLY neglected CVA Hawken for a friend a year or so ago, I didn’t think it would shoot worth anything but it actually shot EXTREMELY well!

Some of those Numrich MK stocks were a little bit rough from what ive seen. Very serviceable though.

529860.jpg

That's a nice looking chunk of wood right there.

First problem, the guy never removed the Breech plug. There is so much residue from the 209 primers that it has built up to were I can’t get a socket over the Breech plug. I’ve been soaking it with hoppes #9 then chipping it away with a fly tying bobben. Is there another solvent that would loosen this stuff up? It’s as hard as a rock.

Jackalope said:
First problem, the guy never removed the Breech plug. There is so much residue from the 209 primers that it has built up to were I can’t get a socket over the Breech plug. I’ve been soaking it with hoppes #9 then chipping it away with a fly tying bobben. Is there another solvent that would loosen this stuff up? It’s as hard as a rock.
Might put it breech down in a bucket of Boiling water with some Dawn dish detergent in it and also pour some boiling water down the bore too. Let it soak a good while and if you get the socket on it that heat will help with loosening up the plug.

It is just a sad shame to see what some do to a ML. Some just should not be allowed to look at one let alone buy one. :(

Here is where a steam cleaner would REALLY get with it!! I think a steam cleaner should be in every serious Muzzleloader enthusiasts bag of tricks

Idaholewis said:
Here is where a steam cleaner would REALLY get with it!! I think a steam cleaner should be in every serious Muzzleloader enthusiasts bag of tricks

That might just do the trick!!! I bet if he used that stream cleaner it would strip that crap right off.

Boiled it and put it in a vice, popped right out. I need to get a new breech plug. I’d like to pick up a #11 and another 209 plug. Since I have both.

Jackalope said:
Boiled it and put it in a vice, popped right out. I need to get a new breech plug. I’d like to pick up a #11 and another 209 plug. Since I have both.
8) 8) How did it look, aside from the BP? Personally I would leave it #11. I don't see the use in 209's in the Plunger rifles, just adds to the crud ring and you don't need the hot shotgun primer or expensive ML type 209 primer. Then there is the expense of the RPJ's. CCI #11 Mag or the RWS 1075 would be all you need. 8)

Glad to hear you got it!!

A little steam cleaner would have made short work of that project! A lot of folks don’t realize it, but Steam under pressure is much hotter than boiling water, hence why it cleans so well. Just watch out for that cold clean bore shot with a slip fit PP bullet :D

ShawnT said:
Jackalope said:
8) 8) How did it look, aside from the BP? Personally I would leave it #11. I don't see the use in 209's in the Plunger rifles, just adds to the crud ring and you don't need the hot shotgun primer or expensive ML type 209 primer. Then there is the expense of the RPJ's. CCI #11 Mag or the RWS 1075 would be all you need. 8)
There is what looks like pitting at the Breech. I would like to stick to the #11 bp for the same reasons you stated. I’ll keep the 209 conversion around.

The #11 bp is a slotted one I will try to find a hex head one and get a couple nipples.

Jackalope said:
ShawnT said:
Jackalope said:
There is what looks like pitting at the Breech. I would like to stick to the #11 bp for the same reasons you stated. I’ll keep the 209 conversion around.

The #11 bp is a slotted one I will try to find a hex head one and get a couple nipples.

Great! I would think that the pitting in the breech would be a little easier to keep clean. While I have the slotted plugs and had no problems with them, as far as I know the hex type is all you can get now and would be easier to use. Sounds like you might just wind up with a good one out of this deal. :yeah:

Did the #11 hammer you got have a flat face or was it just the one hammer with a cone in the face that you got?
If it is a single hammer with the cone beware that those are very hard on nipples. Mine came with that hammer with the cone and I am pretty sure it was a late model and they were using those as a sort of "Universal" Hammer since it will work with both. It tore up some of my nipples, flared the end so bad could not put a cap on, so I milled it down flat and no more problem.

ShawnT said:
Jackalope said:
ShawnT said:

Great! I would think that the pitting in the breech would be a little easier to keep clean. While I have the slotted plugs and had no problems with them, as far as I know the hex type is all you can get now and would be easier to use. Sounds like you might just wind up with a good one out of this deal. :yeah:

Did the #11 hammer you got have a flat face or was it just the one hammer with a cone in the face that you got?
If it is a single hammer with the cone beware that those are very hard on nipples. Mine came with that hammer with the cone and I am pretty sure it was a late model and they were using those as a sort of "Universal" Hammer since it will work with both. It tore up some of my nipples, flared the end so bad could not put a cap on, so I milled it down flat and no more problem.

I have two plungers one with the cone that was in the gun with the 209 bp. The previous owner gave me a box with the slotted bp missing the nipple and the plunger that goes with it. It tapers down and has a flat face on it. This one doesn’t have a rubber oring like the 209 plunger.

Latest posts

Back