My reloading equipment shortcomings

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Since I bought my new Tikka in 300WSM I've been planning on hand loading for it. I have pretty much everything I need, equipment wise, to hand load other calibers, but since I started messing with this 300 WSM, I've found that a lot of what I have won't work with this caliber. First thing was the chamfering/deburring tool. It wouldn't fit. The short neck and stubby body of the brass wouldn't allow the brass to reach the blades. That meant a trip to the gun shop and buying a new one made by RCBS. Nice tool, but $20 after taxes :(.
For years I've been using the Lee hand held priming tool. No good for this caliber. Have the right shell holder but the base of the brass won't fit into the slot so it's out ::). Have an RCBS primer that fits on my press. It's a lot slower but it'll work.
I wanted to see how far a full load of powder would fill the brass. Suddenly realized that I didn't have a big enough container to transfer powder from powder measure to scale. Use 30-06 brass which works fine for everything but the 300 WSM. Fortunetly I lucked out yesterday. When I bought a bag of brass yesterday the 50 bag had 51 so I have a spare. Stuck in a used primer and should be good to go :D. Measured off 65.5 grains of 4350 and, oh oh, the brass won't fit in the neck of my powder funnel. Considered heading back to the store to see what was available but then tried a homemade fix ;). I cut off a good portion of the neck of the funnel and it worked. Hope it doesn't cause problems with my other bullet, but we'll see. Might be making that trip to the store anyway.
I'm sure something else will come up before I get this done :D

Yikes. Great post, I hadn't even thought of any of that. I've got a 300 Remshort coming, for which i will HAVE to reload, thanks for saving me from a four letter moment. Now i have an even longer list of things to get before I can proceed with my fun...however, I find myself stricken down wallowing in a black pit of despair to learn that my beloved Lee hand primer may be fixin to go on over to the darkside of the shop, I've been a slave to it's efficiency for so long...and my sexy red press with no primer arm suddenly doesn't look so enticing...

Don't despair. I have a fix but it involves a dremel of similar tool. The sides of the part that blocks it can be shaved down and it should work. That will be my next project.

Latest posts

Back