New Build in Progress: .45 Cal. Underhammer Carbine

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor62

Reaction score
Hey folks! Just a heads up....

I posted up a couple of gun building projects in the past and the gang seemed to enjoy them so here we go again...

My build will be an underhammer design centered around the Pete Allen Underhammer Action. This will be my 2nd underhammer and my 3rd build using one of Allen's actions.
The goal is for a modern styled, lightweight hunting rifle. The barrel is an eBay find, .45 cal., Fluted version which began life as a Winchester Model 150, bolt action inline. I cut the barrel ahead of the bolt housing area exposing the threads for the removable breech plug. A stroke of luck surprised me with the fact that the threads were 5/8" X 18 which is a standard size for a breech plug. All I needed to do was to machine the rear of the barrel so that the breech plug would bottom out while lining up top dead center.
Laying the parts out on the blank revealed that the rifle was going to be too heavy out front so I cut nearly 7" from the muzzle end. From there I recrowned the muzzle and now the carbine will be nice and short. From the face of the breech plug to the muzzle the barrel measures 19". This will be a handy little rifle which I'm hoping will weigh in at somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 lbs.
Here are some pics to help explain the work as it's progressed so far:

Main Components have been acquired

Pete Allen Underhammer Action:
5c18fb121aede.jpg

Cheap ($35) rough shaped stock blank:
5c18fbf412fc2.jpg

Seemingly unfired, .45 cal., fluted barrel from a Winchester Mod. 150, bolt action inline:
5c18fc42c819e.jpg

The first step was to cut the bolt housing portion from the barrel as this will be an underhammer so all we need is a standing breech. From there I realized that the gun would be too long and too heavy with the barrel at its original 26" length. So, I cut roughly 7" from the muzzle end and recrowned the muzzle. Much better!
Here's where we're at as of today:

5c190035054ae.jpg

5c1900f15bd83.jpg

5c19023826913.jpg

5c190365f3ea6.jpg

5c19069bf3216.jpg

5c1906f8e5dea.jpg

5c19080e84c6e.jpg

Next we'll need to drill and tap for the nipple. From there the inletting of the components will commence.

Images reposted using a different Image hosting service:

u8COUhU.jpg

g6Bt83i.jpg

qrq4tlW.jpg

FY8zqeH.jpg

y0zZTmy.jpg

NTc2cOM.jpg

u2lDj9S.jpg

Ps6MfnK.jpg

K82r6VH.jpg

HHV8Cnh.jpg

nUT0Ktd.jpg

Looking good so far. :yeah: I am quite jealous of you and the others that have a lathe. Man I wish I had a place to keep one. :(

I too use Imgur, no issues like the old Photobucket crap.

That is gonna be a really cool little Rifle! :yeah:

I use imgur as well, No Complaints :yeah:

Latest posts

Back