New build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That load should clock around 2300fps and you can get a cheap Lee .451 sizer or even a custom Lee sizer in .450. I have both just for that reason.

Is it possible its picking up the sabot shortly after its seperating from the bullet?

Last edited:
I am going to check chronograph readings with a known fps source as HC suggested. I seen them lee sizers and wondered if they would work. I will order one now. Thank you both for the wisdom, its always appreciated...

Another scope recommendation: Athlon Argos.
When shopping for one to top one of my SML conversions, these were recommended by a person on another site. I checked into them, sent Athlon a message inquiring about if it would hold up with a thumper. The reply was that they were tested on a 50BMP with no failures, so I got one. I think it is one of the best kept secrets out there. The glass is clearer than my Viper and there is really nothing I would change/improve on it. To see a good collection, do a search on Amazon.

The Athlon Midas Tac has great reviews too but now they want a fortune for them. They have priced themselves into the same range as scopes made outside of China that have just as nice or better glass/features.

When it comes to Vortex, if you are gunna spend anywhere near a grand on a Viper....Just step up to a Razor HD LHT and get a far better Japanese made scope that dont weigh a ton. Razors are made at Light Optical Works and they have a great track record for making scopes. My older model Razor HD LH has beautiful glass for what i paid. Nothing in the price range even comes close.

Vipers appear to be made at 2 Philippine factories and its hard to nail down which models come from which factories. One is Scopro and the other is Kenko. I thought all of them came from Scopro but the scuttlebutt is a few models do come out of the Kenko plant which is the same one that makes the Sightron STACs.

Last edited:
Back