New old renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie otto

Reaction score
My slightly customized renegade with brand new Green Mountain LRH .54 cal barrel.
I am so excited to get out and shoot her again! 
renegade1a_zpse97b1ac2.jpg

Does your wife make you keep it in the basement? :p 

Let us know what she shoots like now .. the Renegade, not your wife.

No, she keeps me in the basement and the guns upstairs in the bedroom.   
She shoots better than I can.. both the wife and the renegade. :shooter: 
I will have her out before the MN muzzleloader season starts and that is next weekend.
I did order the Pedersoli 209 primer adapter today and it should arrive this week.
I love the BP for my round ball rifle but I want to give the BH209 a try in this barrel.

So I got the 209 adapter in the mail today. The first thing I notice it so tall the half cock can't be used.  I can see this as a safety issue.  Then the travel distance of the hammer is considerably shorter.  I might buy another hammer and file down the striker face to see if that changes anything.

Looking very sexy Archie ! There is just something alluring about side locks....

Archie otto said:
So I got the 209 adapter in the mail today. The first thing I notice it so tall the half cock can't be used.  I can see this as a safety issue.  Then the travel distance of the hammer is considerably shorter.  I might buy another hammer and file down the striker face to see if that changes anything.
I place a .45 auto empty case over the loaded device and lower the hammer down on it. It precludes the accidental firing of the gun. Since I have double set triggers and always set the trigger before firing, I just remove the .45 auto case when taking the shot.

Of course, this would be cumbersome if stalk hunting but I hunt from a stand.

Patocazador said:
I place a .45 auto empty case over the loaded device and lower the hammer down on it. It precludes the accidental firing of the gun. Since I have double set triggers and always set the trigger before firing, I just remove the .45 auto case when taking the shot.
I like this idea, Safety first and then I get to go home with all my parts.  Thank You!!

Muley said:
Shorter throw is good. Faster lock time.
That aspect had not entered my mind.  I need all the help I can get in the accuracy department.

Heck yeah! Great set up there, especially with the 54cal, thats one of my most favorite cals for a traditional sidelock.

Just in case your wondering how this project came about.
one of my renegade stocks was cracked so I built something different
Just a bit of cut and paste
renmod9_zpsc3f86c54.jpg

]
]
]

lol thats pretty sweet!
Will the stock basically be one piece now or can you still split it apart?

The acraglass made it permanent and I had to add in another underlug to the barrel for the wedge pin.
I took that off an older GM barrel with a rotten bore.
she weighs in at a tad over 8.5 lbs.
The old girl behind her comes in at about 11.24 lbs with the sling and extra cartridges.
]

not bad at all.

Get some info on that other one with pics! Thats one beefy rifle.

I'd love to get my hands on one of them Trapdoor rifles but they're rather scarce in my neck of the woods !

Very beautiful specimen you've got there !

Spitfire said:
I'd love to get my hands on one of them Trapdoor rifles but they're rather scarce in my neck of the woods !
They're real scarce here too .. in shootable condition.

Original guns are around but good ones are expensive.  Finding a donor rifle is actually more difficult.  If you want to spend the money anything is possible. 

I would like you all to meet Clara. :heart: 
td5_zps0a9a7212.jpg

She was my grandfathers rifle, 1884 Springfield trapdoor. I Rebarreled her with a .458" tapered octagon and whittled the stock out of a 4"x8"x50" walnut board.  Installed a pewter nosecap and buffalo horn buttplate.  Renegade trigger and sights with a Hawken style trigger guard I got from ToW,  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/.

Go to this site http://trapdoors.com/ and you will find everything you need to build an action from parts.  A competent gunsmith with a lathe can thread a barrel on it for you. 
The fellas over at Treebone offer a trapdoor sporter stock http://www.treebonecarving.com/  Then all ya need is triggers and sights.

Latest posts

Back