Newby to black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newby to BP

Reaction score
Like I posted, I'm a total newbie to black powder and have come here to learn. I was pretty heavily into smokeless cartridge fire arms decades ago but it just got to hard to find a place to shoot in commiefornia. I live in Arizona and have a 100 yard shooting range on my 40 acres and all of my neighbors shoot also. I have a black powder cap and ball pistol I picked up used and would like to get setup to shoot it once in awhile. I shoot air rifles most and love how quite they are and I cast all of the pellets and slugs I shoot and have a 4500 psi compressor to fill my rifles so it's pretty much cost free .

I found a place to buy the caps, balls and pyrodex powder but I'm nervous to buy as they don't take a CC only PayPal, Zelle, or bank transfer. It's called Midwest reloads. Is there a better place to buy what I need as I have nothing but the pistol.

Like I posted, I'm a total newbie to black powder and have come here to learn. I was pretty heavily into smokeless cartridge fire arms decades ago but it just got to hard to find a place to shoot in commiefornia. I live in Arizona and have a 100 yard shooting range on my 40 acres and all of my neighbors shoot also. I have a black powder cap and ball pistol I picked up used and would like to get setup to shoot it once in awhile. I shoot air rifles most and love how quite they are and I cast all of the pellets and slugs I shoot and have a 4500 psi compressor to fill my rifles so it's pretty much cost free .

I found a place to buy the caps, balls and pyrodex powder but I'm nervous to buy as they don't take a CC only PayPal, Zelle, or bank transfer. It's called Midwest reloads. Is there a better place to buy what I need as I have nothing but the pistol.
I get mine from, https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/hodgdon-pyrodex-powder they will ship just about anywhere, Caps No. 11 from Academy also will ship.

I have bought a few things from online with CC and got not what I ordered (SCAM) and when you emailed them they say we will give you 10 percent of your purchase back. Because the shipping is on the buyer, and would cost double what you paid for it. Read the fine print!

I found out that sportsman's has #10 caps but it's in Yuma which is over 200 miles one way.😡😡 They won't ship either.🤬🤬🤬🤬

Newby, search for Grafs, Midsouth Shooters, muzzle-loaders and midway usa. They might have what your looking for. Also check your local gun stores.

Welcome to the forum.

John
I stick here been burnt myself, if it sounds great probably a rape job newbie I suggest as others have. Stay wit legitimate business that have been heard of.

Well, I was given a bunch of #10 and #11 caps so I ordered some pyrodex powder, .454 round balls, lubed wads and a powder measure from midway. Question, does the wad go between the ball and the powder or is it the last thing to load. I'm thinking about using 25 grains of pyrodex powder as it's a kit gun.

Attachments

• Compress_20230807_191322_2716.jpg
    Compress_20230807_191322_2716.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 0
Message sent to the newby… 😂

What are “Private Messages“ on many forums, are called “Conversations“ here.

To open the Conversation, click on the envelope icon next to your user name, in the upper right-hand corner of any page here.

Happy reading! 👍

Message sent to the newby… 😂

What are “Private Messages“ on many forums, are called “Conversations“ here.

To open the Conversation, click on the envelope icon next to your user name, in the upper right-hand corner of any page here.

Happy reading! 👍
Hey thank you for your answer, I have woundered about that for years but never really cared to ask.

Latest posts

Back