Newby to black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ik people, I need suggestions how to get the pyrodex powder from the plastic container to the powder measure without making a mess? The stuff seems to stick to the container and lid and I don't want to have lose powder on the floor and bench.

Like I posted, I'm a total newbie to black powder and have come here to learn. I was pretty heavily into smokeless cartridge fire arms decades ago but it just got to hard to find a place to shoot in commiefornia. I live in Arizona and have a 100 yard shooting range on my 40 acres and all of my neighbors shoot also. I have a black powder cap and ball pistol I picked up used and would like to get setup to shoot it once in awhile. I shoot air rifles most and love how quite they are and I cast all of the pellets and slugs I shoot and have a 4500 psi compressor to fill my rifles so it's pretty much cost free .

I found a place to buy the caps, balls and pyrodex powder but I'm nervous to buy as they don't take a CC only PayPal, Zelle, or bank transfer. It's called Midwest reloads. Is there a better place to buy what I need as I have nothing but the pistol.
Hey just get into making your own real black powder it's easy to make good quality black powder been making mine for years shoots great clean and the best part it costs me about $6.00 a pound to make. I will never by powder again.

Hey just get into making your own real black powder it's easy to make good quality black powder been making mine for years shoots great clean and the best part it costs me about $6.00 a pound to make. I will never by powder again.
How? What ingredients do you use and where do you get it from?

It's my feeble attempt at a joke. Thanks for the info but I'm not even sure how much I'm going to shoot at this point as I've never shot black powder before.
Ok well once you get started you'll be addicted next thing you know you will be needing intervention 🤣🤣 good luck

Just Google “Pyrodex spout,” and you’ll find lots of options. 👍

Specialty muzzleloader suppliers carry them, and so do WalMart and Amazon. *Chances are decent that your local gun shop might have a spout, if they carry any muzzleloader stuff. The spouts are pretty common, you’ve probably walked right past them, without realizing it!

Paying $6-8 for a crappy little plastic spout is simultaneously ridiculous, and totally worth it! 😂

Most are variations on the same basic design. One like this will make filling your powder flask a breeze!

1693219723529.jpeg

Last edited:
Just Google “Pyrodex spout,” and you’ll find lots of options. 👍

Specialty muzzleloader suppliers carry them, and so do WalMart and Amazon. *Chances are decent that your local gun shop might have a spout, if they carry any muzzleloader stuff. The spouts are pretty common, you’ve probably walked right past them, without realizing it!

Paying $6-8 for a crappy little plastic spout is simultaneously ridiculous, and totally worth it! 😂

Most are variations on the same basic design. One like this will make filling your powder flask a breeze!

View attachment 37074
Ordered! Thanks 👍😁

I was able to put 20 grains of pyrodex into the cylinder along with a lubed wad and a.454 ball. I fired it and it just didn't seem like it had very much of a kick. Only fired it once as I'm going to go down to my shooting range and shot the other 5 rounds

I was able to put 20 grains of pyrodex into the cylinder along with a lubed wad and a.454 ball. I fired it and it just didn't seem like it had very much of a kick. Only fired it once as I'm going to go down to my shooting range and shot the other 5 rounds
What are you shooting???

Edit: I get a “Fail” on today’s reading comprehension test.
🤬

I thought that you were shooting a Ruger Old Army. I must have gotten a couple of different threads confused! 🤭

Since it looks like you’re shooting an open top brass frame revolver, so it would make good sense to keep your powder charges small.

Last edited:
1851 army .44 cal. It's a brass frame so I can't really put a lot in it and expect the frame to last.
Nice gun yup you definitely want to stay on the lower end on the brass frame if not it will end up getting pretty loose I would stay at 20 to 25 fff with real black powder probably wouldn't go over 20 if its pyrodex on that bass frame.

Nice gun yup you definitely want to stay on the lower end on the brass frame if not it will end up getting pretty loose I would stay at 20 to 25 fff with real black powder probably wouldn't go over 20 if its pyrodex on that bass frame.
Pyrodex is what I'm using. I fired a few rounds over my Chrono and all I'm getting is 340 fps. I'd of expected more than that but I think the caps aren't working right. No idea how old they are as they were given to me.

36 fpe is what I'm getting. Crud, I have 3 PCP air rifles that put out that much and 2 are way above that. I'm doing something wrong or as I said the caps must not be any good.😡😡 I've got one air rifle that puts out close to 3 times that power in .25.

Last edited:
Back