Newby to black powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a fan of pyrodex in any form and feel its about the least powerful of all the powders, even many of the true blacks. T7 can be shot using caps but I guess if you were to try that powder, I'd suggest getting new or magnum caps. T7 fffg is what you'd want to be shooting.

Pyrodex is what I'm using. I fired a few rounds over my Chrono and all I'm getting is 340 fps. I'd of expected more than that but I think the caps aren't working right. No idea how old they are as they were given to me.

36 fpe is what I'm getting. Crud, I have 3 PCP air rifles that put out that much and 2 are way above that. I'm doing something wrong or as I said the caps must not be any good.😡😡 I've got one air rifle that puts out close to 3 times that power in .25.
I don't know why its running so slow mine is giving me around 700 fps with 25 grains is I run it up to 40 grains I get around 1200 fps but it's a steel frame don't think I would go 40 grains in the brass frame you sure your balls are getting a good tight seal

I don't know why its running so slow mine is giving me around 700 fps with 25 grains is I run it up to 40 grains I get around 1200 fps but it's a steel frame don't think I would go 40 grains in the brass frame you sure your balls are getting a good tight seal
Must resist comment.😁

I'm using.454 round balls and even shaving off a little ring of lead just I've seen in some of the videos. Like I said, I think the caps are very old or messed up some way. They were given to me as I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy some. How packed should the powder be? I'm not using the rammer on the pistol to load the cylinder. I bought one of those loading stands to limit the pulling pressure on the frame as I read that also contributes to damaging the frame.

Must resist comment.😁

I'm using.454 round balls and even shaving off a little ring of lead just I've seen in some of the videos. Like I said, I think the caps are very old or messed up some way. They were given to me as I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy some. How packed should the powder be? I'm not using the rammer on the pistol to load the cylinder. I bought one of those loading stands to limit the pulling pressure on the frame as I read that also contributes to damaging the frame.
The powder Shou be rammed down tight you do no want any air between the powder and ball. If the primers are setting the powder of they should be ok. Is you powder possible old or maybe had moisture in it.

I just received it from midway along with lubed wads. I might not have the powder ramed down tight enough.

I just received it from midway along with lubed wads. I might not have the powder ramed down tight enough.
Could be man make sure it's packed in tight any airspace in between the powder and ball you could blow that cylinder apart

It's my feeble attempt at a joke. Thanks for the info but I'm not even sure how much I'm going to shoot at this point as I've never shot black powder before.

Wife also over heard the video and said NO! 😂
Lol I know how that goes when I started making it a few years ago that is the same exact reaction my wife had. But she finally got over it once she started shooting black powder now it's fine 🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪

Lol I know how that goes when I started making it a few years ago that is the same exact reaction my wife had. But she finally got over it once she started shooting black powder now it's fine 🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪
She's a smokeless snob and probably won't ever try it. By the way, does anybody carry real black powder anymore?

She's a smokeless snob and probably won't ever try it. By the way, does anybody carry real black powder anymore?
I really don't know like I said I don't buy it been making my own for years. But from what I have read there is only 1 place left in the United States that still makes it and that's a factory in Louisiana.

BP can be found online at Grafs, Powdervalley, midsouth at times and maybe Natchez. Hazmat and shipping jack the price up so its best to wait for one of those to be "free" and buy more than 1 can. Some sites have minimum order size.

By the way, does anybody carry real black powder anymore?

Agree with the advice given, above.

Also:

Kind of a “sleeper” source is Jon Blackert, at Crater Fireworks/addictedtoblackpowder.com Product (not sure why MM site is showing link as simply, “Product”)

He deals with shooting, demolition, and pyrotechnics aspects of black powder.

His website isn’t very fancy, but it gives you an idea what he might have in stock. If the powder shows a price (Schutzen, Swiss) per pound, he’s likely to have it. If there’s no price (Goex, Olde Eynsford) he likely doesn’t have it.

Figure out what you need, and drop him an email or give him a call. His cell phone number is right on the website.

I’ve only ordered from him once. Jon had stock, when most others were out of stock. Jon was very responsive, and it was a smooth transaction. He’ll have you send him a note that you want black powder for shooting your musket (or whatever). I don’t remember exactly how I did it, but it was electronic, vs. snail mail.

Look at his site I’d order from Jon again, in a heartbeat. 👍

Another sort of a “sleeper” option is the Maine Powder House. Home - mainepowderhouse.com

Looks like they’re out of stock of many options, right now. They’re certainly not a secret, but less well-known than many other sources. I’ve never done business with them, but many here are past customers.

One last thought: Estes Industries (the midel rocket folks) has reportedly bought Goex, and plans to resume production.

Keep your eyes and ears open- I’m sure that when they ramp up production, it will be discussed here.

Eh ER relatively a noob myself I have done some research for a 44 brass 20 is the top of the mark if you want it to survive a while, Now I have 2 brass 1851 Sheriff (Pietta) and 1862 .36 Armi San Marco my steel frame(s) are 1851s as well one in .36 and the other is on the way a .44

Just Google “Pyrodex spout,” and you’ll find lots of options. 👍

Specialty muzzleloader suppliers carry them, and so do WalMart and Amazon. *Chances are decent that your local gun shop might have a spout, if they carry any muzzleloader stuff. The spouts are pretty common, you’ve probably walked right past them, without realizing it!

Paying $6-8 for a crappy little plastic spout is simultaneously ridiculous, and totally worth it! 😂

Most are variations on the same basic design. One like this will make filling your powder flask a breeze!

View attachment 37074
I got two of them for my RS and P pyrodex actually for $6 and dumping into a flask on the go YES serves no other purpose but absolutely worth the investment

Like I posted, I'm a total newbie to black powder and have come here to learn. I was pretty heavily into smokeless cartridge fire arms decades ago but it just got to hard to find a place to shoot in commiefornia. I live in Arizona and have a 100 yard shooting range on my 40 acres and all of my neighbors shoot also. I have a black powder cap and ball pistol I picked up used and would like to get setup to shoot it once in awhile. I shoot air rifles most and love how quite they are and I cast all of the pellets and slugs I shoot and have a 4500 psi compressor to fill my rifles so it's pretty much cost free .

I found a place to buy the caps, balls and pyrodex powder but I'm nervous to buy as they don't take a CC only PayPal, Zelle, or bank transfer. It's called Midwest reloads. Is there a better place to buy what I need as I have nothing but the pistol.
Local bass pro or cabales normally have smoe BP substitutes

Latest posts

Back