Now I'm partial bionic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My right knee has been bad for about 5 years now. Scoped twice and the only thing left is bone on bone. I keep putting off the surgery but I think now it is time to get it done. Helped a friend track a deer last week and my knee has not recovered and feels like it probably won't. I'm hoping to make it thru deer season and get in late January or early February.

George I'm happy to hear you're doing better. Also happy to hear your wife continues to improve. Every days a gift that's for sure.

birddog, if it hadn't been for all the issues I had, 5.5 weeks after surgery, I think I'd be doing very well right now. I never really understood what septic shock was, but I do now.
I really don't expect a lot more improvement, maybe a little, but with double the scar tissue it's really hard getting up and down.

If it wasn't for Jeff (Bestill) helping me out at Camp Atterbury, I'd probably have to stop competing there. Its pretty easy getting into the prone position, but boy is it ever difficult getting up. Jeff shoots pretty fast, so he pairs himself with me, knowing I likely will go over the 30min time. You just don't find better friends. Bob, Chris and Jeff are as good as it gets.

Hope you make it through the hunting season without a lot of pain. Get that knee taken care of and most of all, listen to the physical therapists.

I seriously send my best wishes to all of you for solid improvements and healing. I can't believe I'm 77 since it's damned hard to get around when one hits 40. Statistically, if you make it to 60 you're really likely to have at least a couple more decades in store for you. I can empathize with you all having fallen so many times, accumulating broken bones, ra, wrecked spine. One truly has to be tough to survive after enjoying good health in one's profligate, heady and busy youth.
images-64.jpg

I’ll be going for my right knee replacement surgery sometime in January. Right now the VA wants to replace it with the Stryker Triathlon knee replacement. The reviews of the Dr who will be doing the surgery is 4.5 and has been performing surgeries for 35 years. Unfortunately he has only been doing the robotic surgery only for severe months. So, thinking of seeing another Dr to see what knee replacement they recommend and has more robotic surgery experience.

I’ll be going for my right knee replacement surgery sometime in January. Right now the VA wants to replace it with the Stryker Triathlon knee replacement. The reviews of the Dr who will be doing the surgery is 4.5 and has been performing surgeries for 35 years. Unfortunately he has only been doing the robotic surgery only for severe months. So, thinking of seeing another Dr to see what knee replacement they recommend and has more robotic surgery experience.
Definitely do that...May confirm your docs plan the best or give you options. Been through that with complex right leg fracture that took 3 surgeries over 2.5 years to get healed. Lots of pressure to go out of town. 2nd opinions with 2 trauma surgeons in 2 states agreed with my docs plan...Took awhile but it worked...needed bone chips, platelet rich plasma, internal bone stimulator, and I don't know what else.....

An awful lot of the doctors using the robotic don't really have nearly enough training. It takes months of training to really become proficient with it. Training doctors don't get. Not even close. Of course as usual it all comes down to money. Some people have trouble with bad reactions to the cobalt in the implant.

An awful lot of the doctors using the robotic don't really have nearly enough training. It takes months of training to really become proficient with it. Training doctors don't get. Not even close. Of course as usual it all comes down to money. Some people have trouble with bad reactions to the cobalt in the implant.
The infection was what's gotten me. 5 1/2 weeks after the initial surgery it got me and sent me into septic shock. 6 days in the hospital, 6wks on a PICC, and then a year on 1500mg of amoxicillin for a year.
Back in PT again, as every muscle and tendon in my right leg, from ankle to hip is extremely tight. What isn't, isn't being used properly.

My surgery went well. I did not have the robotic surgery. The doctor said he doesn’t see the benefit and he’s been doing it for a very long time. Plus his reviews he was rated 5 stars with over 4500 reviews. I have a slight scar. My problem is next Friday it will be three months since the surgery. I still have swelling, my knee is still hotter to the touch and the muscles around the knee cap still hurts. The PT, Surgeon and nurses say I’m doing terrific and it’s just going to take time. 😩

My surgery went well. I did not have the robotic surgery. The doctor said he doesn’t see the benefit and he’s been doing it for a very long time. Plus his reviews he was rated 5 stars with over 4500 reviews. I have a slight scar. My problem is next Friday it will be three months since the surgery. I still have swelling, my knee is still hotter to the touch and the muscles around the knee cap still hurts. The PT, Surgeon and nurses say I’m doing terrific and it’s just going to take time. 😩
If that remains hot around the knee, it might be a good idea to discuss with the surgeon about a blood test for bacteria.

Hopefully the PT will get you loosened up again George. Sorry you are having so much trouble with that knee/surgery. So far, knock on wood, my two have been great. Eight years as of Jan on my left one and it'll be 3yrs for my right one this August. The bursa on my right one got slightly infected and was hot to the touch for awhile but one round of antibiotics and it was gone. Good luck to anyone who has it done. For me it was a game changer and wouldn't hesitate to do ot again. The 1st two weeks seem to be the roughest.

Hopefully the PT will get you loosened up again George.........................
Thanks.

Both PT's are working their little butts off trying to get things loosened up. Problem is it was let go too long IMO. They have me doing exercises at home, and I do, do them. They're not easy and those two won't take any prisoners.
Last week I came home after PT and ended up taking some Bayer Back & Body, that slightly helped. That evening I had a hard time getting up and I almost couldn't move. The wife got my cane out so that I could get up just to go to the bathroom. I'm not sure which one of those two, but maybe both, are trying to kill me. LOL
I've had a couple incidences outside where I've tripped and went down twice. Both times I was trying to get over something and didn't get my foot high enough. Tuck & Roll.

Latest posts

Back