Now I'm partial bionic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen the ortho doc this afternoon. Without fail I have to remain on antibiotics. He's going to discuss with the other ortho docs and the infectious disease doctor, about drawing from my knee to check for ANY bacteria.
This stuff, Enterococcus E Faecalis, may still be within the knee. If it's still in the knee, doing antibiotics for a year would be a waste of time. Surgery for a completely new replacement would likely happen.
Let's hope there is none in the knee.

Seen the ortho doc this afternoon. Without fail I have to remain on antibiotics. He's going to discuss with the other ortho docs and the infectious disease doctor, about drawing from my knee to check for ANY bacteria.
This stuff, Enterococcus E Faecalis, may still be within the knee. If it's still in the knee, doing antibiotics for a year would be a waste of time. Surgery for a completely new replacement would likely happen.
Let's hope there is none in the knee.
That is terrible, I feel your pain. So sorry, I am going in tomorrow to hopefully get some answers too. You are in my prayers.

Update..........

Progress has been SLOW............ but on going. However, I've reached the point where I can walk downstairs........ carefully. Flat ground everything is good. Uneven ground? Still not as sturdy as I'd like.

Being on antibiotics 24/7/365, 3 times a day with 1500mg of amoxicillin does have its drawbacks. Nausea is an almost every day experience. A little less if I eat well prior to taking medications but, that doesn't stop all the nausea. Probiotics and fiber, also a daily necessity.

ONDANSETRON......
A miracle drug!

The Infectious Disease Doctor is very easy to contact and discuss things with. She's communicating with the primary physician and the surgeon, trying to keep things from going south. We have another virtual conference in April, but the long one will be in October, so she says. In October she commented that the conversation will be much longer, and that there will be a lot of discussion over the pros and cons of being on antibiotics the rest of my days.

I have mostly good days, but some are a PITA. Very rarely, I have pain in the knee. Today was a little exception, as monkeying around with the backboard on the range might have been the culprit. A couple Tylenol and a good chair this evening is working wonders :)

This has aged me and I sure can feel it. As long as I'm waking up on the green side of the grass, life is good.

Last edited:
i've noticed from your post you've been getting out and doing things . really glad things are looking up for you !
keep on keeping on dude !

You will be in my prayers, that sooner than later, to hear that you fired 5 five-shot-groups @ 100yds. Walked back and forth between each group and felt nothing but recoil, sunshine and happiness in a level but lumpy pasture.

As long as I'm waking up on the green side of the grass, life is good.

Amen to that. Now if this snow would go away so I could actually see grass.... I guess as long as I am seeing snow I am still on the positive side of things, eh.

Update..........

Progress has been SLOW............ but on going. However, I've reached the point where I can walk downstairs........ carefully. Flat ground everything is good. Uneven ground? Still not as sturdy as I'd like.

Being on antibiotics 24/7/365, 3 times a day with 1500mg of amoxicillin does have its drawbacks. Nausea is an almost every day experience. A little less if I eat well prior to taking medications but, that doesn't stop all the nausea. Probiotics and fiber, also a daily necessity.

ONDANSETRON......
A miracle drug!

The Infectious Disease Doctor is very easy to contact and discuss things with. She's communicating with the primary physician and the surgeon, trying to keep things from going south. We have another virtual conference in April, but the long one will be in October, so she says. In October she commented that the conversation will be much longer, and that there will be a lot of discussion over the pros and cons of being on antibiotics the rest of my days.

I have mostly good days, but some are a PITA. Very rarely, I have pain in the knee. Today was a little exception, as monkeying around with the backboard on the range might have been the culprit. A couple Tylenol and a good chair this evening is working wonders :)

This has aged me and I sure can feel it. As long as I'm waking up on the green side of the grass, life is good.
I can relate to your post here. I had a snowplow accident in March 2000, started having problems afterward. Had my 1st brain surgery in August, had a stroke and multiple seizures. Left the hospital at the end of August. Since then have had 12 more brain surgeries. But I'm up and going!!

Update..........

ONDANSETRON......
A miracle drug!

Hang in there dude .I have 4 screws and a plate in my left ankle from a 2000pound die mold at work fell behind me .and me getting outside with my brother for couple hours was the best .I can walk fine now inless that plate catches the Achilles tendon tube then that hurts like hell but my therapy was going out to my back porch and shooting and going walking .the surgeon that did the operation was amazed I never went to a rehab ,I told him my rehab is I live in the country so me and little brother just walker a couple miles and would gradually progress farther every day we went I now have this scare that looks like a reaper scythe on my ankle .dang reaper trying take me out with mini scythe not to day man I'm keep kicking lol I know our isn't the same situation but just sharing I have been slightly how you feel .

You guys are some tough dudes !
Will power dude cause once you give in that you can't do it you mind will be stuck in that setting that you can't come back from it then you won't . If you think ok this going be new obstacles or change I'll have to work with you but I plan to be very close to what I was then you will . My pain tolerance pretty darn high cause stupid crap over the years cause I should been taken pain meds thr doctor said for my ankle that someone had prescribed them .I said no one ever told me about them but it's cool I didn't really have any pain I just took the baby aspirin for my blood flow like they said other than that now I have a this scythe shape scare and a dip out section cause the blade section of the scythe is actually a chunk of skin missing not sure if the die mold burned it off or just ripped it away .tough idk about that but I'm a stubborn one I refuse to give up on alot things lol

Attachments

• 20230319_234556.jpg
    20230319_234556.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Update..........

ONDANSETRON......
A miracle drug!

I had a knee replacement 16yrs ago at the age of 37. Had 2 options…1) fuse it or 2) replace it. I went w/ option 2! I knew I was young and that I would eventually have to have another one down the road. I’ve taken care of it for the most part by not being as active as I’d like. Figured the less I did, the less wear I’d put on it. I still take stairs one step up at a time and the same w/ going down. Kneeling is the worst! Almost impossible on a hard service, but on carpet, it’s manageable for a short period of time. Therapy is a must for anyone considering having a knee replacement and elevation and ice for any swelling. Glad to hear you’re on the upside of things now and best of luck.

Last edited:
Had a couple issues I associated with becoming more active outside. The weather is trying hard to warm up and stop raining. That last system that came through seemed to last at least two weeks!
Back on April 2nd, I had a pretty rough day with the knee. It wasn't what I call an overall pain, but more localized on the inside at the injection site. That rascal hurt enough that I ended up taking a pain pill and muscle relaxer. Next day I was totally fine.

Since, I've had a few pains in it that are now on the outside of the knee. I'm thinking that its all because I'm busier. (Got to get ready for Camp Atterbury) ;)

Today was my video conference with the Infectious Disease doctor at UofM. She wasn't really happy about my couple "events". Her instructions were to contact the ortho office and get in to see the surgeon for x-rays, and prior to going, have blood work done. I called the surgeon's office and darn................... I get in tomorrow at 10:30am. So off to the hospital I go this morning to have the blood work done and the results are already complete.

My Immature Granulocyte Absolute is quite high and I don't believe either doc is going to be happy about it. I'll know more tomorrow after seeing the surgeon, but something tell me that I'll be on antibiotics for a long time.

Its been awhile since I updated this post.

Just two weeks ago, I had my virtual visit with the Infectious Disease Expert at U of M. Of course a week earlier I had to give 6 vials of blood to be tested.
The IDE and I talked for quite some time and she was extremely good explaining my situation. All my blood work came back NORMAL......... YAHOO!
She cautioned me on this but, she said that every case that she's had and was treated as mine was, every patient recovered. However, she also said that it didn't mean that there wasn't a chance.
Her final decision was for me to stop taking antibiotics immediately. No weaning off, just cold turkey. She mentioned that there may be a "few side effects", but they won't last. She wants more blood work in 3 months and another virtual visit. She was right about a "few side effects".

So........ I call the surgeon's office and they have me in the next morning. He wasn't as excited as I was about me being off the antibiotics. It was still his opinion that I should remain on them until my last breath but, he understood what the IDE wanted me to do. His concern was rather there may be bacteria currently in the knee, which if I went off the antibiotics, would create another surgical procedure/s. He asked me if I would consent to letting him try to draw fluid off my knee.

HOLY SMOKES!!!! The last time he did that, I was in the ER and it hurt so bad, I cracked two crowns. I told him he could, but NOT without me having something to bite on. I did not want to crack/break any more crowns or teeth. So a rolled up piece of gauze was used. Now, it didn't hurt as bad as it did when it was full of bacteria but, it still hurt like hell. So glad I had the gauze. Its not like a cortisone shot! OMG is it painful.

He wasn't able to get anything out of the knee other than a minute amount of normal fluid. That fluid was tested and it was BACTERIA FREE!
I'm far from being out of the woods, but things are starting to improve. I'm working the knee more and the double scar tissue is starting to breakup. There are times when I've actually heard it!

It'll never be like normal, but at least the fear of another surgery and removal of the replacement, then another surgery to replace the knee again may not happen. They still have no idea how it settled in my knee like it did, especially 5.5wks after surgery.

It aged the heck out of me, but things are getting better.

Thanks for the update, the normal results is phenomenal! You're in the thoughts and prayers, keep moving forward, even if you have to crawl. You've been through the absolute ringer but things are looking better!

This report is refreshing. You've certainly had enough issues with the knee. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Back