Now I'm partial bionic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is most likely the worst test I believe I've ever been involved in. The in home nurses have taught us how to change the IV bags and lines, so we pretty much have that going good for us. I'm not using any pain meds other than Tylenol.

This whole thing is a insurance nightmare. The PT that came to the house feels I need out patient care, back where I was going. However a nurse has to come every Tuesday to take blood for lab tests and the insurance feels its in home.
What a mess.

I'm trying to stay positive and its not easy. Being constantly hooked up to an IV, 24/7 is tiring and inconvenient. However, I realize these things MUST be done for 6wks.

If this doesn't work, then there's a MAJOR problem. Surgery again and ALL the new knee would be removed, then another 6wks on antibiotics with no knee. If that didn't work, then they would fuse the knee with something and I'd be a peg leg for the remainder of my life.

Believe me............. this is tough.

Virtual conference with the infectious disease doctor tomorrow. Tuesday another blood draw for testing. Hoping the numbers keep lowering when it comes to white blood cell count.
Knee feels good and walking without assistance is easy. However, the surgeon wants me to use the cane just for added stability.
PT is still necessary.
If things keep going as is, there's only 18 days left for 24/7 IV's.

Conference with the Infectious Disease doctor went WELL.

She went over ALL my blood work and asked me a good number of questions. She was quite surprised when I told her I haven't taken a pain pill since the day I came home. Zero pain.
Now PT and it stretching is a different story but, to be expected.
She was VERY HAPPY with how I'm recovering but, they still do not positively have a clue how this infection started.

October 20th WILL BE my last IV day. She is scheduling an in-home nurse to come on the 21st to remove all the IV picc line from my arm. THAT will be a nice day!
However........ I will be required to take pill antibiotics for at least a year. It'll be 3 times a day. A piece of cake!

So, all in all it was a great day. PT was late this afternoon and that went very well. Sal and I got a number of things done this morning, one of which was putting up the Slingshot for the winter
🙁
We're very close to having everything done, with just a couple things left. I need to drain the other garage and blow the lines out.
The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Conference with the Infectious Disease doctor went WELL.

She went over ALL my blood work and asked me a good number of questions. She was quite surprised when I told her I haven't taken a pain pill since the day I came home. Zero pain.
Now PT and it stretching is a different story but, to be expected.
She was VERY HAPPY with how I'm recovering but, they still do not positively have a clue how this infection started.

October 20th WILL BE my last IV day. She is scheduling an in-home nurse to come on the 21st to remove all the IV picc line from my arm. THAT will be a nice day!
However........ I will be required to take pill antibiotics for at least a year. It'll be 3 times a day. A piece of cake!

So, all in all it was a great day. PT was late this afternoon and that went very well. Sal and I got a number of things done this morning, one of which was putting up the Slingshot for the winter
🙁
We're very close to having everything done, with just a couple things left. I need to drain the other garage and blow the lines out.
The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.
Glad you are coming along I have both hips and right knee Hips were a piece of cake but the Knee was horrible After surgery I got an unknown reaction took weeks to clear up I need the left knee done but keep putting it off good luck

Attachments

• 2006-07-17 09.00.29 - Copy.jpg
    2006-07-17 09.00.29 - Copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Glad you are coming along I have both hips and right knee Hips were a piece of cake but the Knee was horrible After surgery I got an unknown reaction took weeks to clear up I need the left knee done but keep putting it off good luck
You guy's are not helping! I need my right knee replaced and after seeing that pic and knowing what Encore is going through I think I will take what I have now to my grave!

How’s your recovery going?
Pretty good, short of the inability to sleep. They've tried me on 4 different meds to get me to sleep and I may as well have taken candy. That is really the only complaint I have at the moment. The blood work has been improving, short of some liver stuff. The infectious disease doctor will look it over again after Tuesday's blood draw. She indicated that if it was still high, she'd adjust future meds.

The GOOD NEWS.................. Thursday will be the last IV !!! The Picc comes out on the 21st and I'm done with IV's. However, it appears that I'm going to be on long term antibiotic pills, at least 6mo and up to a year. I can deal with pills. Carrying around an IV and pump station everywhere you go sucks. PT is a must for me and I'd like to see them increase it to 3 times a week instead of just twice.

It'll be 6wks that this has been in my arm.......

PICC line.jpg

Soon to be rid of all this equipment too ;)

View attachment Video of knee and equipment.MOV

Know what the monkey said when they cut off his tail?
It Won't be long now!

Virtual visit with the infectious disease doctor this afternoon and she was very pleased with how things have turned out. Now I'm not totally out of the woods yet, as the bacteria could come back from the steel in the knee replacement.
Yup, I know about long term antibiotics but, in this case, I have no choice. I'll start taking amoxicillin 500 pills 3 times a day. Unless there's an issue, I may end up having to take it for at least a year.
Believe me, taking a pill will be a lot easier than hauling around this pump and having this PICC in my arm. They're doing everything they can to prevent two more surgeries and a completely new replacement. Of course, along with another 12wks of what I've already been through.
Anyway, the PICC comes out Friday and I can't wait.

I was taken out of bondage this morning. Oh my how nice it is to get up and just walk away and not have to pack an IV, pump and lines. The simplest things were sometimes hard to do and you learn quickly.
Blood work continues to be good. I will be on antibiotics (pills) for the next year. PIECE OF CAKE ;)
After 12 weeks of basically doing nothing, its time to strengthen up.......
I see the doc next week and my first question will be,,,,, when can I start shooting?

Excellent news!! Besides all the infection BS how’s the new knee feel? Excited to start PT?
I've actually been going to PT twice a week. We just had to work around the IV and such. Its going well and I asked today if they'd work it harder. I can go up stairs one foot after the other but, going down I haven't totally mastered yet. The knee is actually doing well. I can put my whole body weight on it.
I'll be good to go unless the bacteria flares back up. Continued blood work, although not weekly now. Its getting better........... :)

Back