Opening day muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was the first day of the Oklahoma muzzleloader season.
I hiked out to one of my state land spots about a half hour before daylight.
Got settled in and waited for sunrise. I ended up waiting and waiting for any ole deer to show up but none did.
In fact, I never even saw a bird or a squirrel, nothing moving at all.
Oh well, I still have 8 more days to fill a tag.

Last Friday I had a small buck chase a doe across the lawn. Both were legal, and I was watching other deer on the lawn at the same time, but shooting one on the lawn seems like cheating. Anyway, it looks like the first false rut has started. The full rut should be in 27 more days in this portion of Idaho.

Last Friday I had a small buck chase a doe across the lawn. Both were legal, and I was watching other deer on the lawn at the same time, but shooting one on the lawn seems like cheating. Anyway, it looks like the first false rut has started. The full rut should be in 27 more days in this portion of Idaho.
Some signs of the rut are beginning out here. A few days ago, I found a few new rubs.

Got to my blind at the lease at 07:00. Sat there until 11:00. The squirrels were going after the fallen pecans. i glimpsed several large hogs on a trail through the bush about 125 yards away.

At 11:00 my lease partner came by. He had shot a large buck at about 08:00 but could not find any blood. Drove to his stand and looked for blood to no avail.

i'll hunt again on Monday, if the buck was hit the buzzards will be circling.

Got to my blind at the lease at 07:00. Sat there until 11:00. The squirrels were going after the fallen pecans. i glimpsed several large hogs on a trail through the bush about 125 yards away.

At 11:00 my lease partner came by. He had shot a large buck at about 08:00 but could not find any blood. Drove to his stand and looked for blood to no avail.

Hopefully it was a clean miss.
I got up at 4 this morning but it was already 67 degrees. I'll take today off and try again Monday morning. Should be a little better after the cold front comes through this evening.

Hopefully it was a clean miss.
I got up at 4 this morning but it was already 67 degrees. I'll take today off and try again Monday morning. Should be a little better after the cold front comes through this evening.
I did the same thing toughed it out till 11:00 got lunch and was back on stand at 2:00 in shorts and an orange vest. 89 degrees is just too hot.

Have you looked on Facebook at Oklahoma deer tracking dogs. Those guys find a lot of deer for people.

I was at my OK place from Wednesday the 20th through yesterday the 28th. I crossbow hunted Wed-Fri and muzzleloader hunted the rest of the time. I saw quite a few deer but not a buck I wanted to end my season with. I watched this buck for about 45 minutes on Wednesday morning and had him come within 10 yards of my ground blind as he left. That was pretty exciting.
53454E17-E75C-4B75-9AD0-E8B66ACCCFCE.jpeg

I was at my OK place from Wednesday the 20th through yesterday the 28th. I crossbow hunted Wed-Fri and muzzleloader hunted the rest of the time. I saw quite a few deer but not a buck I wanted to end my season with. I watched this buck for about 45 minutes on Wednesday morning and had him come within 10 yards of my ground blind as he left. That was pretty exciting.
View attachment 17152
He was one lucky bucky ,he would have left with me , we dont have near the deer as we have the worst feed potential in NY /Sullivan co they eat snow balls come snow time . He looks like a nice one!/Ed

Looks like an older buck, too. Maybe 4 1/2 years?
I’ve watched that buck all summer on game camera, and I had thought he was 4 too. After seeing him in person and exactly how big his body is, I really think he’s 5. If he makes it to 6, he’s going to be big. I’ve hunted this place almost 20 years, and bucks don’t seem to hit their full potential (body or antler) until 6.5.
Here he is in velvet.
A32A633D-33C8-4207-AC8F-C58641D70189.jpeg

Latest posts

Back