optima pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well let the little optima strike again last night.
Went out with friend of mine, sharing a stand, his goal to harvest mature doe w shotgun, so I grabbed pistol, figured I would just be watching.

In stand 15 minutes 2 small spike bucks in bait pile, he didn't want to shot either them, few minutes later mature doe steps out 40yds out. He draws bead with his Savage shot gun bang, good hit, deer runs out of sight but looked well hit.

Things quiet for next 40 minutes, a third friend and his daughter hunting near us so opt to stay till quit time, suddenly see deer nervously moving into shooting lane, but angling hard away, stops at long angle, starring hard at us, seems long shot, but doable, but evident that time is short, she seems to be very intent on us, turns broadside, settle crosshair in middle chest, slightly high, bang, drops. 84 yards very large mature doe, clip spine in chest cavity, buddy's deer went 30 yds. Lot of meat. 9 yds past my comfort zone, but worked out well this time.

THE DEER HUNTER said:
Got the Optima V2 pistol as well. Like it a lot - only drawback to it is see is the plastic is somewhat sharp under the trigger guard.

Shooting 100gr Blackhorn 209 & a Hornady 300 grain .430XTP at 1,510 fps at the muzzle. 3 shot groups touching at 50 yards, 1" above bullseye.

Really want to get a deer with it, but one never presented the right opportunity this season...

I've heard that from a couple V2 Pistol owners now. My V1 Pistol does not have this problem with the breeching lever in front of the trigger guard. The V2 needs the opening for the breeching lever and trigger guard clearance.

I do like the looks of the V2 way better, but really like not having this problem. My grips roll right up and it's a smooth transition into the trigger guard.

170.jpg

100_0319.jpg

Version 1
V1_zpsfba09c0e.jpg

Version 2
V2_zps55b9ea43.jpg

Yep - you can see from the pictures where I am talking about. Absolutely my only complaint about the pistol though.

Latest posts

Back