Parameter Adjustment--250 TEZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today a trap was assembled to catch the 250g TEZ bullet. One change was made to the standard. The plywood was changed to ¼".

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4159.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the bottles is 25 yard. The powder charge is 50g Blackhorn powder.

IMG_4163.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

The bullet was caught by the third bottle (see photo).

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

In early July 2015 a few bullets were shot into water bottles, and captured, and looked at. Powder charge was 50g Blackhorn, and range was 25 yard. All the bullets expanded, and mushroomed; worked good. Grouse45 suggested we put something in front of the bottles to see if different bullets reacted differently . Concrete, and other things were suggested. Wife, and i discussed what she had laying around he house, which could be used in front of the water bottles. She found some shelving, and some carpet scraps. The old shelving was 3/8" thick.

We put the junk carpet, and shelving into use in front of the water bottles. Some bullets worked better than others. Some thought we should use deer hide, and deer bone, but we didn't, because we wanted to use materials that would be consistent/identical, and a material we could readily find. Basically the reason for the plywood, and carpet is to separate different bullet results from each other. All bullets were/are shot through the same media.

Does plywood kinda sorta resemble rib bone?

That is very interesting that all bullets expanded with just water bottles . I would of thought opposite.

I am a strange self employed business owner . I own a body shop and we also raise hogs. When I get serious about a particular bullet I test my bullets on a hog carcass.

I find your test very informational . I always have to chuckle when someone’s paparticular bullet fails. They get all worked up ! Relax use what works for ones individual application.

Thank you for your time Ron.what your doing is a huge contribution to this board.

FYI, This has been shown before. 250 gr Barnes T-EZ bullet fired out of a CVA Accura MR using 2 pellets of T7 took a nice buck at about 45/55 yards. Recovered bullet weighed 246 gr.

1BLNaacl.jpg

Yes I have seen that picture many times . I am a Barnes fan.I have taken many deer with Barnes bullets. I personally do not think a Hunter at moderate distances can do much better than a Barnes.

My point was if a person does not get the results one is looking for they get all offended. Test is flawed and arguing with Ron. It is nearly impossible to dubicate every senerio( hide,bone,tissue) etc... Ron is doing these test with what is easily available. The test may not be exactly accurate but still a lot of good information can be obtained.

I agree with Doug's summation on Ron's work with the bullets. I think Ron does a very good job here and when one considers that he's using his own gas, own materials, own primers and own powder...not to mention his time...I can find little to argue about with his work. I have his bullet testing data in me favorites location on the computer and enjoy the heck out of comparing results between bullets. I've made a decision to go to all copper bullets this fall for deer in my guns and all of his data here sure helped in selecting the bullets [Barnes] for each of the guns that will go afield along with some input from several persons who use the copper bullets here.

Looks good Ron.
Might be the old saying ‘hitting water is like hitting bricks’.
You say you tested long ago with water only - what can you share how the results differ than test with carpet/plywood?

Rick, in early July, 2015 we captured a few bullets using the same exact water bottles being used today. The sample size was quite small. The powder charge was 50g Blackhorn. The range from rifle to bottles was 25 yard. The carpet/plywood was not placed in front of the bottles. All bullets expanded just the way the picture books show. Deep Curl bullets, XTP bullets, TEZ bullets, and Controlled Fracturing bullets all worked exactly as manufacture say they would; nicely mushroomed.

Grouse say if we would put something like concrete or some such in front of the bottles, the results would change i.e. different bullets would perform differently. Grouse was correct.

Wife, came up with carpet, and plywood; we placed carpet/plywood in front of the bottles, and in your words, some bullets 'pass', some bullets 'fail'.

Rick, some more information: These photo show bullets that worked when hitting the bottles without carpet/plywood. None of these expanded when the carpet/plywood was in place. Repeating; range was 25 yard, powder was 50g Blackhorn.

July 8, 2015...........240g Deep Curl HP

IMG_0425.JPG

July 6, 2015............250g XTP

IMG_0402.JPG

July 5, 2015...........250g TEZ

IMG_0389.JPG

Animal tissue is mostly water. Bone is more than likely less. Just like a tree trunk is harder than a leaf.

There isn't a perfect test medium that's consistent shot to shot, exactly mimics flesh/bone, and is affordable to the average shooter. In the absence of such a perfect medium tests like Ron's, ballistics gel tests, etc., can still provide valuable insights into how various bullets may perform in the field compared to each other. Perfect? No. Informative? Most definitely.

Back