Range Report 7/12 Two steps forward..one step back..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Mel and I went out the club again to do some more shooting of the rifles, MZ?s and bow. As has been usual lately, while we made some great progress, we also had a few setbacks.

My primary goals for today were simply to 1).test a few loads in my HB, and to settle on a load and sight the gun in. 2) do the same for Mels 10ML-I. 3). Shoot a few groups with the .25 WSSM to get a better understanding its accuracy/consistency and to finish sighting it in with the factory ammo I have been shooting. 4) do some additional testing and sighting of other rifles I have been working.

Needless to say, goal #1 was easily achieved as the HB has always been a pleasure to work with and today was no different. After testing a few loads I decided that I was going to back to the guns favorite load for this hunting season. I took two sighters with the gun, made some minor scope adjustments and then proceeded to happily shoot the following the 3 shot group with 57gr N-120, HPH 12?s and the 275 XPB?s, (Grouse?s load).

range712069.jpg

Throughout the day I also took some time to do a little shooting with the .25 WSSM as a follow up to my previous range trip. At that time I was shooting inexpensive factory ammo, and achieved reasonable results, but ran out of ammo shortly after getting the gun settled. I was happy today to achieve right around 1MOA results again with this load. I am now thoroughly confident that this gun will easily achieve sub-moa accuracy with a little attention to specific loads, and a little more time between shots. (I was shooting in 90 degree heat and surely wasn?t allowing the barrel the time to cool that was needed for optimum accuracy.)

range712061.jpg

range712059.jpg

It seems it was my second goal?getting Mels gun tested and sighted in for an acceptable hunting load, that was not be. While we had already come to realize that the gun has a relatively loose bore and clearly benefits from the HPH-12?s slightly larger diameter, that was not enough to help us achieve today?s goals.

I should explain that I recently bought this gun from another member, used, as a package deal. The gun came with scope and rings. As I always prefer QD rings on all of my guns I immediately installed new bases and rings on the gun. Unfortunately, and against my better judgment, I reinstalled the scope that came with gun, reasoning that ?how bad can the scope be?. I figured the previous owner spoke well of the scope and, despite the fact that I would not have bought it myself, what did I have to lose by giving it a shot?

Well?lets just say today was yet another reminder of why I also avoid inexpensive scopes. (The scope I am discussing is a Mueller ?sport dot? 3-9-40.)

Early in the session it seemed as if Mel?s accuracy was unusually poor. However, as we were shooting numerous different loads I didn?t want to assume anything. Therefore, I took a few shoots and in at least one case completely missed the paper. I quickly brought the target in to 50 yards and decided to try to sight the scope in with the basic 41.5gr N-110 250XTP load. Upon opening the scope caps I was very surprised to find that not one, but both, adjustment knobs were barely even engaged to the scope. In fact the top knob popped right off the scope into my fingers. (The scope relies on screws to hold/engage the turret to the adjustment knobs, a very poor design in my opinion).

range712070.jpg

range712071.jpg

At this point I was already becoming increasingly unhappy with scope as I had also come to realize that the eye relief on this scope was also unacceptably short?

Deciding to work on with what I had, I manually adjusted the turrets without the benefit of the adjustment knobs and got the scope back into reasonable adjustment. After a few decent shots we moved the target back out to 100yds. Mel took two more shots without a hitch. After the third shot, (wich formed a 3? group), she seemed upset with what she thought was excessive glare in the scope. Deciding to have a look for myself?I found myself chuckling in disbelief that she thought glare was the worst of this scopes issues. No longer was it just the turrets and knobs that were falling apart on this POS?now the whole thing had apparently fallen out of bed! The reticle had now rotated clockwise a good 5 degrees +!! Needless to say?the scope is now completely useless. I not only will have to buy a new scope, we will also have to start over from scratch in terms of getting the gun up and running for the season. (All in all not a big deal?I am just kicking myself for leaving such a scope on the gun despite my better judgement in the first place.)

range712045.jpg

To rap this all up?I can honestly say it was still a great day. In fact I was even pleased with my bow shooting from the clubs treestand. So despite the one set back, I am still a lot farther along on my projects than would have been otherwise!!

JC

Back