Rio Grande Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad,
I forgot to ask you how the recoil was/felt shooting the 100gr of powder. Thanks.
John

Also discovered i have some .503 460 grain No Excuses in my stash to try.

Last edited:
As some may know, I ordered two G Series Whitetail breechplugs, one percussion cap and one musket cap, from Marlowe to see if they would fit the Rio Grande. They arrived today and pics are below. The Rio Grande is the black one in the middle and you will notice it has a knurled shoulder and the other two do not. The original plug is also thicker walled than the G series percussion one but the G series musket plug has the same wall thickness as the original. All three utilize a 3/8 socket to remove/install and have the same thread size. All 3 fit into the barrel nicely but I was concerned that the G series plugs would sit too far into the barrel and not allow the striker to hit properly. Well, no worries with that, both went off just fine when tested. I now feel like I have two good replacements should I need one along with the ability to utilize musket caps. In the near future, I will likely order the Bestill plug to have even better interchangeably.

20240207_153218.jpg20240207_153213.jpg20240207_153122.jpg

As some may know, I ordered two G Series Whitetail breechplugs, one percussion cap and one musket cap, from Marlowe to see if they would fit the Rio Grande. They arrived today and pics are below. The Rio Grande is the black one in the middle and you will notice it has a knurled shoulder and the other two do not. The original plug is also thicker walled than the G series percussion one but the G series musket plug has the same wall thickness as the original. All three utilize a 3/8 socket to remove/install and have the same thread size. All 3 fit into the barrel nicely but I was concerned that the G series plugs would sit too far into the barrel and not allow the striker to hit properly. Well, no worries with that, both went off just fine when tested. I now feel like I have two good replacements should I need one along with the ability to utilize musket caps. In the near future, I will likely order the Bestill plug to have even better interchangeably.

View attachment 41393View attachment 41394View attachment 41395
Interesting knurling on the Rio Grande plug.

Other than giving my fingers something to hold onto, I am not sure what purpose the knurling serves. Have to use a socket to install the plug as there is no way I could get my fingers on the plug to turn.

Never been able to tell thread size without having a guide handy! Probably why I worked radars most of my life! My dad was the machinst/ tool&die guy. Best I can tell you is the socket head is 3/8" but you likely already know that.

Maybe ElDiablo or someone that owns a White G series can help?

When I get home l'll measure the diameter and try and measure how many threads in an inch.

I measured 9 threads in 0.5 inches so that would give 18 threads per inch. But for diameter I measured 0.615" which would be a crazy 123/200! If I set the mic to .625 then the plug passes easily. Now you know why I did electronics and not tool & die!20240208_205812.jpg

Last edited:
I was told in the 90s. Not a specific year. That's all I know. They are built really tough.

That’s all I could find too. They are built really well. I discovered if you unscrew the jag from the ramrod, there is a bullet puller under it.
Didn't know that. I'll have to check mine out

any more range reports on these Rio Grande muzzys that you all have recently purchased?

I ultimately didn't buy one, (that may change). But, I convinced a friend who had been considering a muzzy to make the leap.
First time muzzleloader shooter, but a marine vet.
Took his rifle out today with some components I gave him.
70 grs T7 2f, Federal BOR lock copper 270 gr.
At 25 yds.
Brand new rifle, straight out of the box. He is tickled pink...and hooked.
First shot high and right. Corrected sights and put 3 in the same hole.
Hey, even at 25 yds, thats a great start.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_143240_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_143240_Messages.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'd leave it right there and step back to 50 yards and maybe 75 yards and see where it hits. I'd bet money he would be right in there. They are great shooters. Better get one while they are available

Back