Sabot blow by

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sabot blow by

I would think "barrel jumping" would be more prevalent in a pistol, but exactly how much would those extra 20 slow down the velocity and therefore allow about 23" of barrel jump enough to cause a 4" higher POI? If those extra 20 grains can drop it from 1900 fps to 1800 fps for example, the bullet/sabot would be in the barrel .000056 of one second longer at 1800 fps versus 1900 fps. This is enough to cause a 4" higher POI?

The Federal bor lock bullet 270 grain trophy copper says it has a half cup permanently attached to the base and stays with it during flight. To me, that extra length increases the stability, and if it seals better like their ad says, it could be maximizing the available pressure than the crush rib sabot, and the 270 gr Federal could actually be flying faster - but I digress. A chrony about 50 yards downfield could verify that.

I was at Cabelas Wednesday and was able to look at these Federal bullets - they are different. I'm not sure I'd want all of that stuff attached to the bullet while traveling down range. The reviews seem to be a love/hate relationship.

The best name for them is Federal Finicky. It's brother is Thor....lol :p

Back