Sabot thickness or alternative

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
In my other post I was shooting multiple sabot/bullet combinations to see what would load easily in my father's Omega. In doing so I was trying the 290gr. Barnes T-EZ flat base in the supplied sabot. This loaded a little tougher than I would have liked. I then tried the same bullet with a black crushed rib sabot and I felt it went down too easily... here is my question..would there be a sabot thickness between the blue EZ load sabot and a blach Crushed rib sabot? I am partial to Barnes and would like to find a proper fitting sabot...

How do they shoot? Who cares about how “tight” it is. As long as it is snug going down so it doesn’t slip off the powder and shoots well.

In my other post I was shooting multiple sabot/bullet combinations to see what would load easily in my father's Omega. In doing so I was trying the 290gr. Barnes T-EZ flat base in the supplied sabot. This loaded a little tougher than I would have liked. I then tried the same bullet with a black crushed rib sabot and I felt it went down too easily... here is my question..would there be a sabot thickness between the blue EZ load sabot and a blach Crushed rib sabot? I am partial to Barnes and would like to find a proper fitting sabot...
This is where knowing your barrels dimmensions and knowing the sabot + bullet dimmentions comes into focus . If you knew that you wouldnt HAVE to ask !!! .002 to .004 is a good fit . Right now if you dont know that the crush rib loads much easier youre lost . You have no peace . Id fix that if i were you . You could throw your WALLET at it some more and buy the red crush ribs or both high perf mmps and still know nothing . Tryin to teach you something here that you wont forget . Feel any smarter ??? Im being an ass right now to prove a point . Small hole guages and even just a caliper sound good yet ??? And even if you do just shoot it , the acid test , wouldnt it be nice to know ??? Without the tools its kinda hard to be positive to know how to "tune" your sabot for this or ANY mz . Its also tough to say.exactly Which sabot to try next in all honesty and Why to choose That one . The more you know the better off you are . Informed choices are always Best . I do apologize for being a little tough but what i said is true and once done like this nobody can tell you different !!! If you got 8 lands in that barrel and four petals on a sabot put two lands per petal too if you want consistant accuracy . Line it up !!!

Last edited:
If you're set on the 290( which is a fine bullet ), buy the Harvester short smooth black( < 300 grains ), long smooth black ( > 300 grains ) and Crushed Ribs. It's very likely one of the three will get the job done.

Last edited:
Back