Scales that work to measure ramrid preasure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little testing of how loading forces affect velocity.

All charges were IDENTICAL with IDENTICAL weight bullets. Check out the velocity averages. There's 106fps difference with the Pittman bullets at 8# vs 18# loading force.

View attachment 42247
And that's exactly what I saw today an es of over a hundred and 50 plus SD in some strings.
Can't be good for accuracy.

For starters the question wasn't hunting related. Deer season is months away yet
I'm not going to Cary a scale either.
I'll use the scale for training purposes.

The question is purely target shooting related. Loading forces have got to play a role in overall accuracy just like neck tension in a cartridge..
I'm looking for a way to eliminate a variable to better evaluate loads
It will train my feel to load consistently when deer season does come around.
Force/pressure at the range on concrete will feel different under your butt plate than leaves and dirt under your butt plate in the woods.

If you're looking for exact pressure/muscle memory, you're better off practicing your loading on the ground/grass/mud/dirt/leaves/, etc.

And that's exactly what I saw today an es of over a hundred and 50 plus SD in some strings.
Can't be good for accuracy.
Now........... you know why I post in the Long Range Forum about BH being inconsistent when it comes to velocity.
Just a difference of 30fps makes a 2moa or 20" difference at 1,000yds and that's a lot.

Force/pressure at the range on concrete will feel different under your butt plate than leaves and dirt under your butt plate in the woods.

If you're looking for exact pressure/muscle memory, you're better off practicing your loading on the ground/grass/mud/dirt/leaves/, etc.
I don't think he's worried about hunting, but rather extreme accuracy and at distance.

The OP mentioned deer.
For starters the question wasn't hunting related. Deer season is months away yet

The question is purely target shooting related. Loading forces have got to play a role in overall accuracy just like neck tension in a cartridge..

Don't think I have seen one at Friendship during The Nationals , not saying it doen't work but I'm like the fellow before as soon as I feel the powder I stop

The wheels on the bus go round and round.
Yes sir at the moment I'm at the range almost daily so I am interested in eliminating the human factor and developing good load practices.
Deer season is a ways off so I'm getting ready in my own way so when that shot presents I'll have that confidence that only comes from putting in the time.
Deer hunting mentioned a couple of times.

It's clear that deer hunting is on the OP's mind.

Your turn.

What scales do people use? Analog digital what works and is accurate
For Black powder and same compaction (every time ) works for me Lehigh Hunting sells a rod that you set and then lock so every load is the same , not cheap but works well for me and has a crown protector . Same rate of compaction with what ever powder your using /Ed

Attachments

• IMG_1176[1].JPG
    IMG_1176[1].JPG
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1177[1].JPG
    IMG_1177[1].JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Your 1:17 twist is SO much better at stabilizing the 350gr XLD's than my 1:19.

Here's what the Berger twist rate stability calculator shows for your twist.........

View attachment 42255

Here's my 1:19, same velocity and same bullet.............

View attachment 42256
I see starting to understand better now , but actually it was for heavy lead conicals was reasoning for it

Not trying to start any arguments this morning but I can't understand what value knowing the answer would be out in the deer woods if you had to reload for a second or third shot.
I mean, I'm not going to bring any scales or such in my kit.
Agreed.....would be wasted time, especially if you need to reload quickly to put the deer out of its misery. I want a clean, quick kill, as they deserve that much.

For Black powder and same compaction (every time ) works for me Lehigh Hunting sells a rod that you set and then lock so every load is the same , not cheap but works well for me and has a crown protector . Same rate of compaction with what ever powder your using /Ed
Thanks for pointing this rod out. The lockable collet feature sounds like it might be a valuable tool. Have you run any side by side comparison tests of velocity or accuracy with and without it's use? To verify its effectiveness. Can you show us the data?

Im not to the point of using a loading force gauge… yet. But I've already started shopping for one. When i can say “ok, this is my one and only LR ML gun”, loading and seating forces will be one more step in getting best possible accuracy out of it. This rabbit hole has many tunnels and no end. For now tho, im still enjoying owning, fondling, shooting and trading/selling as many guns as i can, in hopes of finding the all around perfect gun. Too many options to really settle in and dive deep into true LR shooting, for me.

can you show a link or site for the ramrod ? I am very curious....

Back