Scales that work to measure ramrid preasure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for pointing this rod out. The lockable collet feature sounds like it might be a valuable tool. Have you run any side by side comparison tests of velocity or accuracy with and without it's use? To verify its effectiveness. Can you show us the data?
Not lately but go on that site and understand how it functions , a no brainer as long as you stay with whatever bullet length /powder type/charge your using that day . just one more thing to verify . set rod get a great group then set your compression for that load , and then your duplicating that compression every time . Not no way complicated /fancy devices/and now that I think about it (CHEAP) compared to other measurement devices !
What was I thinking?? Almost forgot I use this (device) in conjunction with a 32 inch drop tube BP or smokeless /Ed

Last edited:
Not lately but go on that site and understand how it functions , a no brainer as long as you stay with whatever bullet length /powder type/charge your using that day . just one more thing to verify . set rod get a great group then set your compression for that load , and then your duplicating that compression every time . Not no way complicated /fancy devices/and now that I think about it (CHEAP) compared to other measurement devices !
What was I thinking?? /Ed

However.................... That loading rod WILL NOT provide you with your actual loading forces for each different bullet which matters, nor will it be as accurate as a gage for seating forces.
As you mentioned, there are many variables, which is exactly what GaSmokey is trying to completely eliminate.

However.................... That loading rod WILL NOT provide you with your actual loading forces for each different bullet which matters, nor will it be as accurate as a gage for seating forces.
As you mentioned, there are many variables, which is exactly what GaSmokey is trying to completely eliminate.
Guess it works to my tolerance level , and absolutely improves Target /SD so that's what I have . Now I know why I can never be a great competitor but on the other hand I can be good and have an built in excuse why I only win occasionally . /Ed

Guess it works to my tolerance level , and absolutely improves Target /SD so that's what I have . Now I know why I can never be a great competitor but on the other hand I can be good and have an built in excuse why I only win occasionally . /Ed
I understand that it'll work for what you may do.

If you go back to post #19, you can easily identify why knowing just your loading force can be so important.

With the Pittman bullet, there is a 106fps difference in velocity, using IDENTICAL bullet weight and charge weights, and only because of the difference in loading forces. That is a considerable difference that can cause a miss at 500yds.

Shooting ELR that would be a complete failure.

I understand that it'll work for what you may do.

If you go back to post #19, you can easily identify why knowing just your loading force can be so important.

With the Pittman bullet, there is a 106fps difference in velocity, using IDENTICAL bullet weight and charge weights, and only because of the difference in loading forces. That is a considerable difference that can cause a miss at 500yds.

Shooting ELR that would be a complete failure.
Glad my Sharps likes 530 elliptical only ,choice there is 20-1 or 16 -1 over OE 1/1/2 F (80/81 grains) RCBS press and 060 poly does the same as the ram rod does just , faster in cartridge than muzzle loading . Afraid those Pitmans are a little pricy for me ,why I'm working on new fast twist molds and smokeless Paper patching ( a 1st for me) /Ed

"If the Chinese invented bathroom scales first, and gunpowder second, long range shooting would have been perfected in the 9th century.
Then we would've been able to kill each other off at 1,000 yards.
Instead of having to go toe to toe at a measly 40 yards for 1,000 years."

What the hell does that have to do with the OP's question?

I don't want no WAGNER!!!
I'm a Mitutoyo man.

gifs.gif

Thanks for pointing this rod out. The lockable collet feature sounds like it might be a valuable tool. Have you run any side by side comparison tests of velocity or accuracy with and without it's use? To verify its effectiveness. Can you show us the data?
Been discontinued

For me to clarify things as to my motives.
I'm looking for 500 600 1000 yard accuracy and beyond.
I've shot at 2000m with centerfire rifles and figure with the right setup and loading technics I will be able to make cold bore cold shooter on demand hits.
At short range 300 yards and in you can be sloppy and get away with it.
At 500/600 you better have your ducks in a row.and have an understanding of your wind call
At 1000 and 1500 yards everything matters.
Range wind drift twist rate left or right twist the earth's rotation under the bullet time of flight on moving targets and where that target might be in 1.7 seconds from discharge Shot angle hypotenus distance.
Bullet drag coefficient air density and its drag on the bullet.
So yes I do think for my applications a force meter is in order. To take away one variable in a drowning sea of external variables.
A tool in years to come that will undoubtedly be as useful as a powder measure verses a lee dipper. A chronograph verses a good guess. Which is what I have now on my loading force ..guessing on the wind or weather environment
5 years ago i had to guess at wind based on lots of shooting and what you saw and that's not a bad thing. now i use a kestrel weather station and computer software that feeds real time information into my binoculars for a real environment firing solution in a heads up display.
I learned to do things old school so I can do it.. the technology is far more accurate and far faster at developing a firing solution
That being said if your load isnt the same every time demenstrating single digit SDs then junk in junk out.
so to put things to rest i do hunt alot but i will do it at any distance to 500 600 yards. So for me I'm lining up those ducks if you will. I have and continue ti take cold bore shots at 500+ yards on a regular basses.
The reason I asked the question I did.
Hunting came up by others although I did respond to those in kind.
At the range I had access to you had to demonstrate your abilities to get to the 2000m UKDR as they had to close off other access points to parts of the facility.
So my wants are far beyond hunting at typical muzzleloader ranges
My current situation allows 1000 on occasion
My fear is those skills are fleating use them or loose them

What was I thinking?? Almost forgot I use this (device) in conjunction with a 32 inch drop tube BP or smokeless /Ed
Drop tube? Your barrel?
Or for cartridge loading on the bench..
I guess another point is if I find a constant with say the 225 I'm shooting now how would I then replicate that when shooting say a 275. Don't get me wrong I like simple and I may get there and just use feel but right now I need constants so that's where I am going at this from.
I think constants are important and transportable amongst many a feel thing is personal and I won't have the same feel as the next guy.
My goal is to share what I find so anyone could if they want duplicate the results.
Hope you are well Ed

Last edited:
Drop tube? Your barrel?
Or for cartridge loading on the bench..
I guess another point is if I find a constant with say the 225 I'm shooting now how would I then replicate that when shooting say a 275. Don't get me wrong I like simple and I may get there and just use feel but right now I need constants so that's where I am going at this from.
I think constants are important and transportable amongst many a feel thing is personal and I won't have the same feel as the next guy.
My goal is to share what I find so anyone could if they want duplicate the results.
Hope you are well Ed
I'm well and yup a drop tube is what I'm using in cartridge and muzzle loaders (target only ) cause targets matter too. Smokeless or BP ,all the same if you don't get to the ignition source how can you determine accuracy in your weighted charges if you get powder stuck in barrel grooves /bore ? Cartridge without a drop charge it won't fit in your case , just as important as your primer (for me) aside from compression . With compression in a muzzle loader changing bullet weights/configuration you reset the Lehigh rod and duplicate , like I said I don't have sophisticated but it suits my needs and definitely improves consistency targets/SD s / Ed

I'm well and yup a drop tube is what I'm using in cartridge and muzzle loaders (target only ) cause targets matter too. Smokeless or BP ,all the same if you don't get to the ignition source how can you determine accuracy in your weighted charges if you get powder stuck in barrel grooves /bore ? Cartridge without a drop charge it won't fit in your case , just as important as your primer (for me) aside from compression . With compression in a muzzle loader changing bullet weights/configuration you reset the Lehigh rod and duplicate , like I said I don't have sophisticated but it suits my needs and definitely improves consistency targets/SD s / Ed
So how do you keep the powder from sticking in the much smaller tube?
I just can't see it not falling down the barrel with a smokeless load

So I digress
Some supplies came in and with some stuff I had laying around presto force gauge AND AND accompanied rod stop.
I made the rod in sections from a 3/8 Delrin from Cecil at PRBULLET
the force gauge is from Amazon. 99.00
Force gauge to rod adapter shop made

The collet holder is shop made
The collet is from shars 3/8
The collet nut from technics. M22x1.5mm
Rod runout is under .001
Precision rod stop and gsuge under 105 dollars cheap it was not but well I got to know....
Enjoy
20240310_232249.jpg20240310_232245.jpg20240310_232808.jpg20240311_004037.jpg
So with the 3 piece rod I can check force all the way down and get an idea how straight the bore is
If I'm seeing changes in the size of the barrel plastic or bullet itself.
I can set seating preasure then set my collet for that should repeat.
We shall see.
Can't hurt right.
Best of all suggestions everybody wins 🏆

Drop tube? Your barrel?

Note his picture and you can see the tube in use in the barrel of his shooter. What he's not telling is that he can pluck it out of the barrel's end and plug it into an ear to help him hear questions being asked about that brass thing stuck in his gun's barrel.

Note his picture and you can see the tube in use in the barrel of his shooter. What he's not telling is that he can pluck it out of the barrel's end and plug it into an ear to help him hear questions being asked about that brass thing stuck in his gun's barrel.
Man I hope yall are friends.....
Lol

Latest posts

Back