Seating the bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomc1426

Reaction score
I have a Omega and the book says that the sabot must be on top of the charge each time. My question is this, just how important is it? I'm using 777 pellets, 100 gr and power bullets in 240. First shot the rod is only sticking out of the barrel 3/4 to 1 inch. Next shot the rod stops about 2" from the end. If I swab between shots there is still a more of the rod sticking out. Even after wet patch? If this means that it is unsafe to shoot, and I have to clean after ever shot, so be it. Just wanting to know what more experienced shooters have to say.

Thanks,
Tom

An improperly seated projectile can cause trouble. If it is necessary to swab the bore between shots to get proper seating do so.

You may be detecting a bit of a crud ring. A bit more pressure on the ramrod will usually overcome this.

Whatever the case be safe...........be sure your projectile is seated on the powder charge.

What most people do is they make a whitness mark on the ramrod. Do this when you seat the first bullet, having that you will know every time that you are seated over the charge. I just use a piece of tape and line it up with the end of the barrel and then wrap it around the rod. With using 777 you will encounter a crud which can fool you into thinking that you have it seated properly. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back