Shooter, ammunition, or another dang scope?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
450 Bushmaster.............. 35 rounds.

Well I'll give it a go on another day but, when a scope doesn't track PERFECTLY, I wonder if another VX6 is going to heck?
Could be the shooter?
Ammunition is all the same, and this rifle will shoot a 1" group at 300yds on the shooter's good days.

2-8-23  35rounds.jpg

If shot #1 was cold bore and #35 two minutes later it could be gun related - wandering zero with heat. Repeat test using single aiming point but shooting 2-3 shots then letting rifle cool just about completely between the 2-3 shot strings.

Could be the nut behind the trigger, getting a flinch after a half dozen or so rounds down the tube due to recoil or muzzle blast. Have someone else load the rifle and leave a empty chamber or a dummy round or something

If it really will do one hole groups at anything beyond 20 yards or so... test the scope with "the box test" or a variation thereof.

So, when you say it doesn’t track, did you make adjustments between shots?
No adjustment until a group of 3 is fired. I never chase a scope.

If shot #1 was cold bore and #35 two minutes later it could be gun related - wandering zero with heat. Repeat test using single aiming point but shooting 2-3 shots then letting rifle cool just about completely between the 2-3 shot strings.

Could be the nut behind the trigger, getting a flinch after a half dozen or so rounds down the tube due to recoil or muzzle blast. Have someone else load the rifle and leave a empty chamber or a dummy round or something

If it really will do one hole groups at anything beyond 20 yards or so... test the scope with "the box test" or a variation thereof.
No heat issues. 40° and all shots fired single shot with lots of time between. When I move the scope 1moa and it doesn't move in that direction 1moa, I'm thinking its the scope. The early VX series had a lot of issues with the erector systems going to pot. I have no confidence in the old VX series scopes. I busted another, twice. Leupold repaired it the first time, but wanted me to wait on the HD series and they'd replace it with one of those. Long story shortened, Leupold refunded my purchase price and I bought a Nightforce.
Could be the nut behind the trigger, as we all have good and bad days on the range.
I'm trying to figure out the proper way of asking the CFO about another Nightforce. :)

When I move the scope 1moa and it doesn't move in that direction 1moa, I'm thinking its the scope.

Well... I'm not one to go crankin' on my scope knobs after I get a good zero for the most part. So as long as you can get it zeroed and it stays that way, I'd hurry up and wait for a good/great deal on a replacement, etc.

Didn't realize it wasn't a single group with single scope setting etc.

Still may want to do box test or a variation of it, it may be off on the click values but as long as it is consistent it shouldn't matter much...

If your adjustments are not "tracking" as they should then you may want to check to see if your scope is perfectly leveled. If it isn't then your adjustments will never get you perfectly centered on target.

It's a Leupold right? I would send it back to them. They will probably just give you a new one based on my experience. Then you can eliminate that as the possible source of error.

It's a Leupold right? I would send it back to them. They will probably just give you a new one based on my experience. Then you can eliminate that as the possible source of error.
They offered to replace another VX6 series scope I had repaired twice. Because they no longer make the VX6, they offered me the new VX6 HD but, it would be a couple months before they had them in stock. Long story short, they refunded me my purchase price and I put it towards a NXS Nightforce.
Now..... if they offer to replace this one with a VX6 HD, I'll take it. ;)

They offered to replace another VX6 series scope I had repaired twice. Because they no longer make the VX6, they offered me the new VX6 HD but, it would be a couple months before they had them in stock. Long story short, they refunded me my purchase price and I put it towards a NXS Nightforce.
Now..... if they offer to replace this one with a VX6 HD, I'll take it. ;)
You like that vx6 more than the nxs?

Latest posts

Back