Short Distance Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3 youths that I take hunting all use 100gr charges (two 50gr T7 pellets), with a 270gr Powerbelt Platinum bullet. My daughter and the 10 year old boy use a Traditions Youth Buckstalker, and the bigger boy uses a CVA Accura. Each rifle is sighted in at 100 yrds, and they do the job every season. These are meat and potato loads- nothing fancy, they just flat out work.

I think the better question is will 2 White Hots be enough to make a BoreDriver expand as designed at ranges upto 100 yards. Its a pretty mild load. Only around 1700fps at the muzzle. As far as power goes a 350gr soft lead conical at only 1300fps MV will slam a whitetail out to 100yards or a little more.

So its not really a FPE equation (only), its also "perform as designed" which is a whole other animal.

I'm talking about the "trapdoor loads" which were available back in the 60's. Now adays, there are much hotter options available. A fellow can certainly fire much hotter loads through a trapdoor springfield, but I choose not to do so.
The load I talked about is a trapdoor load. I don't have and never had any use for 45-70 Magnum loads.

Back