This is killing me!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Waiting for the accura to come in is like being a kid again, waiting those final 2 days for christmas to get here! I swear, everything i have something cool coming in, the days just drag on minute by minute :lol!:

It will all be worth it when you're out there punching one hole groups with a big heavy Powerbelt!

This has been some very interesting reading. I have hunted for years with a .50 TC Hawken, 80 gr, round ball and have excellent accuracy but hate to clean the thing. I recently bought a .50 CVA Wolf inline (on sale for 80 bucks) just to see how I would like the inline experience. I have been shooting 295 gr PB AT over 2 50 gr T7 pellets. I haven't been able to get better than 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds with a scope and am disappointed, but have hunted with the load anyway. I have killed 2 deer with this combo. One nice doe at about 40 yds. The bullet passed thru both lungs, almost no blood. I watched her run about 40 yards, stop, and lay down (not fall). She was grave yard dead but had given little indication of being hit. I later took a nice 6 point buck at about 50 yards. The heart was exploded so it only went about 15 yards, but there was no exit wound. Needless to say, I have not been disappointed with the results so far.

Sounds like I should try a 50gr and a 30 gr pellet and see if the accuracy improves at longer distance. I like the convenience of the pellets, but should I expect better results from powder? If I choose to use the Hawken, powder is of course the only option, but can the PB bullet be used in the slower twist?

Its really a learning game to be honest with you. The wolf has a short barrel so the 80gr charge could help you out. In my opinion i would switch to loose powder. Loose powder will allow you to adjust your powder for fine tuning. My Accura for example prefers a 105gr charge. With pellets, you cant get that adjustment.

Also the primers can be an accuracy issue.

The wolf also may prefer Pyrodex RS or even Pyrodex P. I had a Winchester Apex .45 that preferred Pyrodex P to shoot 1" groups.

Your Hawken should have the 1:48 twist barrel. You can use the same bullet in the TC that you use in the wolf.

Thanks. I have late MZ season coming up so I will stick with this combo for the remainder. After the season I will get some powder and play around with it. I will try the PB in the Hawken as well. T7 is so much easier to clean up maybe I won't mind cleaning the old gentleman. I will also try ro recover any bullets. I have never looked for them previously.

OK, one more experience with the 295 gr PB AT. I took a very nice 11 pt Iowa whitetail yesterday with two 50gr T7 pellets. He was quartering towards me at 75 yards. The bullet hit exactly where aimed hitting him just in front of the shoulder. There was a small entrance wound, no exit wound, and absolutely no blood. The bullet took the top of the heart off and must have richocheted along the length of the body as his intestines were tore up. He only went about 20 yards and piled up. Try as I might, I could not find the bullet. Based on the amount of damage, I do not believe it could have splintered or disintegrated. This bullet is perfoming flawlessly for me as I have taken 3 deer with three shots and did not have to trail any of them. I see no reason for me to change much except maybe to experiment with lower charges with the powder. Unless I see some very tight groups, I will definitely not adjust the scope!

One more weekend to hunt, the late ML season. Then have to wait another year!

Congrats!! Get us some pics of that bad boy!

I agree, if its working, why change?

:cheers: ( Man, don't ya just love huntin' those December bucks! )

Can't wait to see one of those Iowa whitetails I've heard so much about!

Any idea what he weighed?

Sorry for the delay, Christmas and all. I only have a pic of my 11 pt taken with a cell phone camera. Hope it shows up ok . He probably went about 200-225 live weight. I am also attaching a pic of the Iowa buck my son took with a bow. Now he was impressive. He was a good 300 lbs. He is hanging on the wall. He hasn't had him scored yet but Joe Meder, the taxidermist that mounted him, thinks he will score in the 140-150 range.

ok, how do I post a pic? I selected host and image and browsed, etc but the pics didn't show.

ok, trying again. First pic should be the 11 pt I took last week.

LanceBuck.jpg

The second is my son and his deer taken with a bow.

Curts_Deer_2008_003.jpg

Awesome Bucks!!

Roper, please go to the Bow Forum on here and write up a story behind your sons buck kill! That is one huge whitetail!

Done. The story is on the bowhunter forum. First post on the forum. Maybe it will start some activity.

Awesome, Awesome bow harvest your son had!!! Condrads to him :cheers:

Being a bowhunter myself, I Can't wait to hear his write-up on that bad boy :)

Latest posts

Back