TK2000 new to me

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V509

Reaction score
Today I found a deal on a Knight TK2000.
This one is fixed choke
I am curious as to what others using the same model are using for loads. Looking at the knight website they have shot cups for $14 and you get a whopping 20 of the little plastic buggars….
Also considering a 209 conversion which is also available on Knights website
Your input is valued!

V509, I'll be glad to share what I know and have experienced with TK2000's loads. I've tried over 40 various combinations of powder ,wads and shot. Send me a PM.

Curious as to what wads are being used by others
I wouldn’t mess around with buying Knight wads. Almost any 12 ga wad will work. I don’t have a Knight but I do shoot a White Tominator 12 ga. This is my current turkey load:

5 gr black powder igniter
85 gr 2F 777
lubed wool wad
TUPRW12 wad
2 oz #9 TSS shot (with a 1/4” 20 ga felt wad in the bottom of the wad to take up space)
1/4” wool felt over shot wad

V509, I'll be glad to share what I know and have experienced with TK2000's loads. I've tried over 40 various combinations of powder ,wads and shot. Send me a PM.

Feeling kinda dumb….. I can’t figure out how to PM you

Addressing the member with the cross manifold. Cool! V509 , I owned years ago 23 T Bucket. Classic red with black top. 327 Vette engine.
A fun ride.
Back to TK 2000 shotgun .
First off I found the suggested Knight loads were not that great in patterning. Plus kicked liked everyone who has owned them and used their suggested load. A regular shotgun with the same Knight load would rock one’s shoulder as well.
I’ve gone from using a 1.75 oz load to 1.5/8 oz load. Using #9TSS-18gm cc.
I see no need to use more than 1 5/8oz.
Initially I used a Ranger Elite wad .
Now I use a TPS-46 wad. A superior wads for TSS.
Both are BPI products.
IF you use TSS make sure you use a wad that is approved for TSS.
I’m not sure that the TK is approved for steel shot. The BPI WADS take care of this issue.
Another overlooked situation of wads and their performance is the wad wall thickness. A thicker wad wall in essence can be the same as a tightening a choke. Example :
Ranger Elite wall .040
TPS-46 wall .055
Load developing. Poor pattern.
Can be not enough powder for the shot load or conversely not enough shot for the powder. Other factors of course such as wad seal etc.

My current TK2000 turkey load.
90 Black MZ.
Lubed wool wad. OP
TPS-46 wad
3/8” 20 ga cork wads inserted into TPS-46 ( one can use 3 - 1/8“ wads, I use a 1/8” & 1/4”)
1-5/8 oz TSS #9
Buffer to fill the shot filled wad.

( How much buffer? Put the wad in a cylinder choke tube or equivalent tube. Add the filler wads. Add the shot. Start adding the buffer. Tapping or vibrating the wad. Add buffer until the shot starts to show at the top of the wad. Don’t let the shot raise past the wad. Once done dump into a scale and weigh. Measure the difference and that’s how much buffer to use for this muzzleloader load.)

OSC. Over shot card.
Prime, aim , pull trigger. Dead turkey. 😆

A great source for TSS shot. Will send 1lb or plus.

https://triplebmetals.com/

Last edited:
BTW, I use the 209 Red FPJ. Works just fine for me.
My farthest one shot kill on a tom has been 62yd. Thus far. 😆

Back