Tree Rat Rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A CZ 452 American 22 LR. It was my first CZ & im really impressed with the quality of the CZ. Its a tack driver with the CCI Velocitor Ammo. Last week I bot a new CZ 75B 45 ACP...much owed to my ownership of the CZ 452 American 22.

2353015b.jpg

my 10/22 :lol:

That's a cool lookin' rig Doohan. 8) Is that a Fajen silhoutte stock?

Jim

I bought a savage .17 hmr last spring and i love it. the only thing is it is very wind sensitive. its very accurate and the varmits hate it round here

Re: .17 caliber

Excuse my ignorance, but would somebody tell me a little bit about the .17 caliber? Is it a rimfire? I know nothing of it's ballistics or capabilities. I've seen some pictures of it, that's about all.

Re: .17 caliber

Wolf_River_Mike said:
Excuse my ignorance, but would somebody tell me a little bit about the .17 caliber? Is it a rimfire? I know nothing of it's ballistics or capabilities. I've seen some pictures of it, that's about all.

Yes, it is a rimfire. Very Fast (over 2500 fps) and Very Accucate.

Bullet range from 17 - 25 grains, that I have seen.

The 17-caliber bullet is necked-down from a .22 Magnum case.

np_17hmr_xtp_r2_c1.jpg

I do not owe one yet, but I am looking hard at Ruger?s Model 77/17. :)

I have on in a Contender G2 .. very nice and fun round!

I hope to build a second 10/22 on the .17 HM2 round.. that is a .22lr necked down to .17

Should be the PERFECT rat gun!

That is a option too. Just make sure that you change what is needed in the reciever and not just the barrel. When the conversions first came out there was alot of confusion on that and most people thought you could switch barrels and you had a mach 2.

Nutt189 said:
That is a option too. Just make sure that you change what is needed in the reciever and not just the barrel. When the conversions first came out there was alot of confusion on that and most people thought you could switch barrels and you had a mach 2.

Thanks, I believe additional weight must be added to the bolt to make the action cycle properly..

I've done a fair amount of reading up on it several months ago.

http://www.eabco.com/hornady17hm2.html

Doohan said:
I hope to build a second 10/22 on the .17 HM2 round.. that is a .22lr necked down to .17
I have been thinking about the same thing with a 3rd 10-22 that I have found and can buy at a reasonable price. Not having the extra cash is the only thing holding me back rite now.

Wolf_River_Mike said:
Why would one (mag) be more desirable than the other (lr)?

More Velocity.

I don't hunt squirrels, cause I wouldn't eat em; I'd have to get a lot hungrier than I am now to start eating them again. BUT if I started back up I'd use my .22 cal air rifle; it has enough juice to get the job done. Actually my .17 cheap but accurate chinese air rifle has killed rabbits, so why wouldn't it work on squirrels?

The .177 cal air rifle will work on squirrels if you stick with head shots, but they are MUCH tougher than rabbits. They will run off with a body shot, even in the lungs and might make it to a hole or leaf nest before they expire.

I bounce back and forth between my 10/22 and FWB 124D .177 spring air rifle. On a calm day the air rifle can shoot 1" groups @ 40 Yds....... 8)

Blue-Dot-37.5

Sounds like I am all alone here with my Ruger 77/22 VMBZ mag. varmint rifle. Hides five shots under a dime all day at 50 and has head shot accuracy at 100 on a low wind day. It particularly likes the fmj CCI and the Remington ballistic tip so it's a highly accurate meat gun and a fair short-range varminter.

I have two stock 10/22's that i'm getting ready to trick out, but i use a Browning Buckmark with a bull barrel topped with a red dot scope. Very accurate little pistol.

My Grandads old Mossberg 152k. Its really quite accurate, and with the peep aperature opened up a bit gets on target in a hurry. Got used to shooting it with the forend folded down as a pre-teen and still shoot it that way. I've had her for 22 years and Pap bout her new nearly 40 years before that. I've killed at least 1500 with her, and Pap hunted a helluva lot more squirrel than I ever will. The little monster will eat any crappy cheap .22LR ammo you can find with only an occassional jam. As long as the barrel and action get a lil now-and-again TLC it'll group <1" at 10 meters.

All its technical merits/demerits aside, It is my favorite material possession in the entire world. The memories of Pap attached make it worth more than a pile of money to me. I cant wait to get my 10 yr old daughter out shooting this week, She's finally expressed an interest! Hopefully, this homely old rifle will mean as much to her someday as it means now to me.

Cheers

Glad this one poped up , my dad started me off on'em,, my favorite now but gets little use any more is a 36 cal percussion, a former Colonial Willamsburg smith did up for me,, kind of silly to carry in the woods, it has a 34" bbl.

Most I have taken have been with the ole Marlin lever 39 bought back in the late 50's, and for grins I have used a Beeman R-1

Latest posts

Back