Tree Rat Rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Gamo Hunter 1000fps and it'll do the job just fine on squirrels ,
crows and such :D
With Respect - Moose

RAZORBACK said:
My modern rifle is a Ruger 77 22. I use Remington Sub Sonic ammo. It is quiet, very little disturbance in the squirrel woods. I sight the Sub Sonics dead on at 40 yards and can head shoot squirrels from very close out to 50 yards.

i know its an old thread, but i just noticed this. that is the exact same setup i use for squirrel huntin (same ammo, too) and i use it for the same reasons (quiet an accurate). i have made a number of head shots w/ it, but theyve been more like 25-30 yds :D

I added a new tree rat rifle to my collection about 3 weeks ago. It is a NEF .17HMR. It already had a Simmons 8 point 3-9X40 on top of it when I purchased it. That scope will do for now, but I plan on eventualy buying one that has the mil dots for every 50 yards out to 250 for this cartridge.

Tree Rat Arsenal

I very seldom tote a shotgun to the squirrel woods anymore. When I'm hongry I tote my scoped Marlin .22 mag. When I'm scouting for deer I usually tote my Crockett .32.

And yes, I still love to eat them little critters, and so does my squaw.
Fry them up and smother them in gravy, with some cat-head biscuits and smashed 'taters....No wonder I weigh 300 lbs!!!!

I have two 17 hmrs (one NEF and one G2 Contender) both with the BSA sweet 17 scope made for the round. In October, I converted a 10/22 to the 17 mach 2. I studied all of the literature about the conversion and settled on the E.R. Shaw Custom HM2 Heavy Barrel Conversion with the heavy bolt. This gun is amazing! I topped it with a 3x9x40 Leupold Vari-X 2c. I have confirmed head shot kills at 117 yards. I do notice affect in high winds. Additionally, there is no recoil and you can watch the bullet impact through the scope.

The conversion took less than a 1/2 hour and I am still working on the trigger in the Ruger. Maybe a Volquartsen drop in is in my near future. I too love to eat the little buggers, my favorite is squirrel pot pie and yes, like DannyB I also weigh 300 lbs! It must be something in the squirrel! :)

IndianaHunter said:
Redclub said:
I use a 17 hmr Savage shoots flat and a long ways next is a 22 mag.
Redclub

I picked up the same gun this past fall but did not shoot it yet...

Just sighted her in with a Burris 4.5x14x42 and going hunting in the morning!

my squirrel rifle is a cheap savage 64 that i got at wal-mart for less that $115 . it can shoot a clover leaf at 55-60 yards with my friend behind the trigger with cheap federal 550 ammo .i bet its a real shooter with some better ammo. in the works for the rifle is a aperture sight , was thinking of one tha tfits the dovetails and then geting a taller front sight .

matts22.jpg

edit : forgot to mention that i have put some weight in the but stock to balance the rifle . i used about 1/2 lb steel bbs in a zip lock bag taped tightly into the a shape that fits in the stock and dose not let the bbs rattle around .

I use a marlin 880 SQ toped with a bushnell 3-9x40 shooting cci stingers its a squirls worst nightmare to 75 yards

Here are my Squirrel getting Toys..

T/C Renegade Stock with a .32 cal Green Mountain barrel..
zTC_Renegade_32_cal.JPG

CVA Squirrel .32 I put together from a kit.
CVA_SQURRIEL_32_CAL_1.JPG

Ruger M77/22
9964Ruger_M77-22.JPG

Ruger Custom 10/22, I put together from custom parts..
9964Ruger_10-22.jpg

Ruger Mark I , for pistol fun..
99641Ruger_Mark_I_22.JPG

Unknown airgun (.22 cal) make ,, I bought from a garage sale..
22_CAL_PELLET_.JPG

I use a Remington Fieldmaster pump .22 caliber rifle i bought new back in 1973. I mounted a Bushnell 4X scope a Banner I believe, and it is a sweet squirrel rifle. It will knock them buggers out of the trees all day.

In fact a friend was over to the house one afternoon and saw that rifle as I was shooting pine squirrels before they infested the buildings. He shot 11 times and killed eleven pine squirrels.

I do not eat those nasty little things. The dog will bring them back and I pile them on the ash barrel top lid. I had a fox that used to come in and clean them up on a regular basis. I have not seen her in a while. Too bad. I had an eagle once that was sitting in the top of a popular tree and when he left there was no more squirrel. This winter, the ravens sure like them. Even had a bobcat come in one day and take a carcass.

We don't have to many of the gray and fox squirrels on my property. Someone told be the pine squirrels will kill the bigger fox and gray squirrels. Whether that's true I could not say.

Sometimes I shoot them with my Ruger T-22 pistol with the target bull barrel on it. If I can get rested against a tree, I can knock them down with that too..

Definitely an old thread, but...

As a kid I bent the recoil spring on my dad's Glenfield model 60. I finally got around to fixing it last fall and had a blast huntin squirrels. For a 60's rifle that has seen a whole lotta rounds go thru it's still very accurate.

I did away with the stock scope it came with and open sights a 50-60 yard headshot is no problem restin on a tree.

I used to use a 10/22 and sure loved that rifle. Also use a Gamo hunter 440? and that rifle works wonders on em too. Last winter I used my accura and it worked well out to 50 yards or so. I had lots of bullets and too much time on my hands. :twisted:

Ate em all! I'd like to get a good muzzloader for squirrel, but wouldn't know where to start looking.

My Dad's old Ruger 10/22 w/ 4 x Weaver scope. Shes 35 years old and can still drop squirrels with head shots all day long. :)

Champion 410 is my favorite in the early season and Marlin 22 rifle in the late season.

tree rar rifles

I have been using an air rifle lately - an Air Arms S410 .22 cal. Pre-charged pneumatic - with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4 x12 scope. You fill it from a scuba tank and I get over thirty shots from one 3,000 psi.fill. It is scary accurate - shoots far better than I can hold - and using (JSB match jumbo heavy pellets) it is good for head shots at least to 50 yds. probably further ,but that is as far as I have had to shoot to date. It is the hardest hitting pellet gun I have ever used,and I've had a bunch.
It's a beauty too - wish I knew how to post pics, but I'm a dunce when it comes to that stuff. Too old I guess.

I use a old Ted Williams Sears .22 that was past down from my grandfather. I have an older model 880 daisy .17 from grandpa too. Also I just recently purchased a .22 Norica Storm Classic air rifle.

The Sears .22 shoots like a dream with LR and cb shorts. The air rifle is still on the brown truck but its made in Spain and puts out about 14ftp which should take care of any small game.

Cell

Re: tree rar rifles

warren said:
I have been using an air rifle lately - an Air Arms S410 .22 cal. Pre-charged pneumatic - with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4 x12 scope. You fill it from a scuba tank and I get over thirty shots from one 3,000 psi.fill....

I have a difficult time with the thought of holding a gun pressurized to 3000 psi up to my head. Of course, I have NO problem loading one with powder and doing the same. Perceptions.... ;)

My favorite would have to be my Henry lever gun in .22 cal. What's nice about this is it takes shorts, longs and long rifle ammo.

Back