Triple 7 FFG VS. FFFG Crud Ring

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landngroove

Reaction score
Been shooting Triple 7 FFG in my Omega, 100 grains with a T/C 250 grain Shock Wave. Terrible crud ring. Has anyone tried FFFG, with sabots ? Less crud ring ? Yes, I know to try Blackhorn. But what I am really interested in is T7 FFFG results in an inline.

Not sure if the crud ring was less, but it was definitely there with 3F.

Yep, there will be a crud ring. The crud ring can be somewhat minimized by carefully removing all lubricant prior to loading, using a Triple Seven primer and using smaller powder charges. Big powder charges, make for big crud ring problems.

Did some experiments using 2F Triple Seven my TC .50 New Englander. Used the 320 grain Maxi-Ball, a sub base, 65-70 grains of Triple Seven and a Remington primer. My crud ring problem was greatly reduced in that gun.

"Used the 320 grain Maxi-Ball, a sub base, 65-70 grains of Triple Seven and a Remington primer."

Falcon,
What did you use for a sub-base and was it lubed?

They should  I use them in my Rossi .50 shooting 400 gr knurled Winchester Platinum and they are loose going down the bore but they shoot great.

Landngroove said:
Been shooting Triple 7 FFG in my Omega, 100 grains with a T/C 250 grain Shock Wave. Terrible crud ring. Has anyone tried FFFG, with sabots ? Less crud ring ? Yes, I know to try Blackhorn. But what I am really interested in is T7 FFFG results in an inline.
Your primer - plus air humidity, play into the equation, more-so than any switch from FF to FFF.

Use the weakest primers possible with Trip-7 and make sure that bore is dead-dry of any oils or cleaners.

The least complaints come from Bore Butter/Wonderlube users. But hey, I'm not the guy that's going to promote their products. My hunting partner has used bore butter in his T/C for almost 15 years now and swears by it. I quit using it 15 years ago because I was getting brown crap in the bore and we all know what that brown crap is.

But to be honest about it, I never tried bore butter inside an inline. The rust I witnessed had developed in my sidelocks / closed breech. So for all I know, 777 could be Seventh Heaven using bore butter inside a T/C Black Diamond XR that my hunting buddy owns......lol :tongue: He shoots three 777 pellets 150grains and has never complained of a crud ring. So there is a cure, should you desire to try Bore Butter..... which no one here will probably recommend.

I quit 777 powders a while back. I only use what my screen name says these days and loving both of them.

Good, because we're not changing your name when a new powder comes out.  :tongue:

"I only use what my screen name says these days and loving both of them."   

I only use real black powder (not exclusively Goex) and Blackhorn 209 and , like you said, love both of them.

Crud Ring  - GONE!  Had a terrible crud ring in my SS Optima v2!  

My load was 
Triple 7 Loose Powder 90 g.FFG
Carlos Supplied 275 Sabots
Win. 209 primer (thought I'd use them because I had 6000 on hand)
BH Breech plug
The crud ring was terrible. Hard to seat the 2nd and 3rd shot. 3" groups 100 yards.

NEW Load:
Triple 7 Loose Powder 90 g.
Carlos Supplied 275 Sabots
777 Primer
BH Breech plug

No crud ring. In fact it REMOVED the crud ring of 4 shots with Win. 209 primers!  Easy to seat 2nd and 3rd shots.  Group tightened up considerable, less than 2".  I will completely clean the bore and head to the range next week. Range report to follow.

I used triple 7 pellets last season and took 3 deer using 2 50gr. pellets and 295 gr. power belt hp. I have been trying to work up a load with blackhorn here lately and I may very well go back to the triple 7. I am not getting better groups with the blackhorn and even with only 85 gr.  in my wolf with the BH breach plug, it seems the gun kicks terrible. Blackhorn builds up carbon in the breach plug really fast too and it's not very easy for me to get oout of there because due to nerve damage my fingers are very weak and the drill bit and welding torch tip cleaner is hard to use.

I remember last year having accuracy problems with the triple 7 until I started swabbing between shots with those pre saturated patches by TC that look kinda blue and come in the plastic jar. the groups started coming then. and yes I was getting a bad crud ring but was also using the Winchester blue box primers.

Latest posts

Back