Trophy Mounts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see any criticizing in this thread. Everybody is just giving their outlook on it.

I do point out when someone is a trophy hunter and doesn't admit it. A good example is on another hunting forum. Every post this one guy makes is bragging about all the game he's shot all over the world. He showed a picture of his trophy room on the forum. (more than once) It had to of had 40 animals on the walls. He said he had more, but ran out of wall space. He has 20 points saved up for a Colorado elk and sheep hunt.

Someone started a thread asking who was a meat hunter and it got a large response. I about fell over when this bragger claimed he was a meat hunter because he ate most of the meat. Most being the key word.

I challenged him and said he was the definition of a trophy hunter. He got all upset and started to call me names. I don't post there anymore, but I laughed at his posts from that point on. I asked him one time why he had saved 20 elk points. He said he didn't want to shoot just any 5 point elk and wanted to hunt a good unit. I asked him if the meat taste better on a 6-7 point? He called me names again.

So, over the years I found lots of true trophy hunters who don't like to be called one. They aren't hard to spot. One of their popular sayings is..............No pictures and it didn't happen!

lighthorseman said:
I smile everytime I look at them and think back on those hunts.
 ............and my point exactly.

I knew when I posted this, passions would run high. First, I think we live in a politically correct culture that see's trophy hunting only in the light of arrogance and wastefulness. It's a stereotype that fits into the narrative on the left that says all hunting should cease. I would hope to dispel the notion that those who don't hunt for "trophies" are somehow more noble than those who do. WE men are most usually trying to out do the guy next to us......competition is inherent in our DNA.

Stating that I "period hunt" somehow also brings offense to those who don't....or that I use a flintlock and not an inline. First let me say that what ever you hunt with puts us all into the increasingly smaller and smaller category of the hunting public. That should cause us all to be on the same side.

If your state passed legislation outlawing "Trophy Hunting" how many hunters would indorse it? We are our own worst enemies sometimes.

Now back to the fun side........my wife keeps filling my freezer with stuff she has grown in the garden...so this year if I take anything afield, I'll have to buy another freezer!

As to Yetis or "Big Foot" as we know them here in the Northwest.....the average run of the mill hunter is more likely to kill one than a "me the trophy hunter" as I tend to check very carefully what I am shooting at before I pull the trigger........some goofy guy in a gorilla suit wouldn't fit on my wall or in my newly purchased 2nd freezer anyway! :lol:

Whether you hunt for mature bucks and bulls for the challenge and the meat and leave the heads on the ground, or only hunt for the meat regardless of the sex of the animal or hunt for "trophies" to grace the walls of your den or to properly decorate your rustic log cabin....it is well to remember that we owe much of today's big game populations and hunting privileges to big game conservationist and avid trophy hunter Teddy Roosevelt. I think he understood the balance as well as anyone.
Yes, and Teddy knew what he was and admitted it. I have no problem with trophy hunters. As long as they know who they are. I still hunt 1005 of the time. Every time I say that on forums I catch **** from guys who think i'm saying it's the only way to hunt. It's happened on every forum i've ever been on. This one included. Reading compensation seems to be a lost art.

"One of their popular sayings is..............No pictures and it didn't happen!"

No comprende, mi amigo?

Fun Fact and useless legislation: California and Washington state have made it illegal to kill (or, harass) Bigfoots (Bigfeet?)

"This issue brings up a longstanding debate within the Bigfoot community: Would be ethical to shoot and kill a Bigfoot? Some say yes, because that's the only way to prove they exist, and once proof is found, funds could be made available to protect them as an endangered species. Others say no -- that because Bigfoot sightings are so rare, they must have very small populations and killing one might drive the animals to extinction." - LiveScience

There's a Bigfoot community? I wonder what that looks like. 

Teddy is an old hero of mine. Bully!

Reading "compensation?" (winks)

I've known enough "trophy" hunters that I know not to speak despairingly about them. They are thoughtful, work really hard at their craft and never look down on their hunting peers regardless of method or philosophy. For the most part they go about their business quietly....however are honest enough and walk little in the fear of other's opinions that they are not ashamed of being called a "trophy hunter"......and for me, every "trophy" I have harvested regardless of size, sex or number, all came by the grace of God. No one is more aware of my limitations than I am.........the proof is that after over 40 years of big game hunting I have one whitetail buck shoulder mount, a whitetail European mount, an antelope shoulder mount, a life size bear, a bear rug, a couple of hair on elk robes and a hair on doe antelope robe. In my sixth decade my desire is to leave a visible hunting heritage to my son's and daughters.....along with the hunting experiences we had when they were kids...... the bigger more difficult issue will be how to divvy the guns up when I make out my will! :D

You knew how I felt from talking to me on the phone Doug. You also know a thread like this would make me talk about it. I didn't bring up the topic. You did. You also knew you probably wouldn't like what I said and wouldn't accept that I wasn't going to say. You told me to go ahead and give my opinion because we're all entitled to out valuable opinion. It doesn't seem like I am.

You have friends who are trophy hunters who are good guys. Why did you feel a need to tell me that? Did I say all trophy hunters were jerks?

Threads like this are bad for the forum. I knew it when I saw the title. It's like a political thread. It just leads to arguments. I should have stayed with my first post. I never claimed to be politically correct. I say how I feel and make no apologies.

There's a Bigfoot community? I wonder what that looks like. 
 You must be a Trekkie first and foremost. Believing in ET and UFO's is a plus. It helps if you live in a state that has legalized smoking pot "watch for more sightings in Colorado"...or hasn't legalized it but every one does it anyway! Finally you must wear a size 13 shoe or larger!

Kentucky Colonel said:
"One of their popular sayings is..............No pictures and it didn't happen!"

No comprende, mi amigo?

Some guys feel if you don't show pictures of a kill you didn't kill it. Those are the guys who show pictures all the time. Usually, the same ones over and over.

Muley said:
Kentucky Colonel said:

No comprende, mi amigo?

Some guys feel if you don't show pictures of a kill you didn't kill it. Those are the guys who show pictures all the time. Usually, the same ones over and over.

Well, hell. I never killed anything, then. I did not know the rules. :roll:

Seriously, I keep myself out of game pics because of the invasive nature 
of the internet and the cross over of personal and professional platforms. 
The last thing I need is my work complicated by people who hate hunting if 
they got their hands on a pic of me with whatever dinner I am catching. 

And, I got no troubles with trophy hunting. (I don't like to waste meat and hide. 
That strikes me as disrespectful and a bit lazy.) However, go for it, as long 
as we are acting as stewards of the land? We are good.

I think Doug and Pete are separated by semantics only. Pete dislikes braggart 
blow-hards- not trophy hunters. He just wants folk to be honest about what they are doing. 
Some guys feel the need to be the bride at every wedding and the corpse at every funeral. 
They brag about being primarily 'meat hunters' AND 'trophy hunters' at the same time. While 
we are all opportunistic when we hunt, you can't be both.

You guys got no conflict unless you just want to argue. :ss: 

If so? Can I sell tickets to the fight? :Scucks:

PS. I am a Trek fan. I don't see no skunk apes. (A skunk ape if the Florida Bigfoot. 
They are supposed to smell like sulphur.) Did you guys here that the courts ruled that 
holding a Marajuana medical license CAN be grounds for laws to prevent you from gun ownership?

Colonel

After 108 years you show great wisdom!......if only we could all live that long! :lol:

Well I guess I owe all of you an apology for breeching a politically sensitive subject. I'm sorry.

Good hunting this year guys and be safe!

Doug

patocazador said:
:Beating Muley: :Beating Muley: :Beating Muley:

Bob was likely a terrible date. 
icon_lol.gif

Muley said:
Hard to date from a tree.
And, likely no cell or internet reception, or sense of humor. It is surprising he was 
able to get a date/trophy at all. 

HEY! Bob! How you doing! You been thrown out of the hospital, yet? 
(He is probably grumpy... Don't startle him!)
;)

Latest posts

Back