What has happened?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
52Bore said:
Grouse said:
In the end I hope it's done fair. I'll leave it at that.

I just hope in the end, they still allow in-lines. It's been a good start, but there has been a lot of variables for the organization to consider and have little to no experiences with and try to make rules to follow, so I'm sure they are staying on the side of caution.
One big concern, stems from the Savage accident was the bullet exiting only a few feet. Which has occurred and witnessed on the Walter Cline Range during the in-line matches which have only occurred the past 2 years. I too find this disturbing and have stated such. Not so much the bullet exiting, but if it doesn't and the immediate situation. They'd need to educate the shooters, range offices, etc. on what protocol to follow - sounds easy, but not.
It's all about safety.
Time will tell..
Sorry, to get things off track with the post.

I thought friendship started with inline rifles?

sabotloader said:
bestill said:
52bore,
So if im reading your post that 84 gr by weight will be maximum allowed charge for April inline match and possibly for the. Nationals?

Also will pyrodex and triple seven shooters be required to shoot powder manufacturers recommended loads also?

It seems if one powder companies recommendations are to be adheared to then why would not Hodgdons limits need to be followed also????

I hope whats fair is fair for all powders. No more than 2 pellets or 100gr of loose Triple7 or Pyrodex too. (in 50cals and 45cals). Larger amounts would exceed the manufacturers recommendations.

It may get a bit lonely on the range but some probably would enjoy that.

bestill said:
52bore,
So if im reading your post that 84 gr by weight of blackhorn will be maximum allowed charge for April inline match and possibly for the. Nationals?

Also will pyrodex and triple seven shooters be required to shoot powder manufacturers recommended loads also?

So this is interesting i ask 2 very specific questions which directly effects me and get nothing in return as a answer.

Also interesting to me i live 4 miles from nmlra and am a member that will be one of very few effected and hear this decision on this forum.

I didnt figure the inlines would last at Arthur Cline. Unless you build one with a sidelock and shoot big lead. That Buckskin gang dont want you around. No worries, more and more inline venues are popping up. They can just keep running their little camp over there and thread count and watch their numbers dwindle every year. Exactly like they seem to insist on. Thats not the only 1000 yard range around

500 yd range and the inlines are not going anywhere they will always be ...

This is about blackhorn powder(smokeless)

As been stated savage discussion and rumblings about blackhorn.

bestill said:
bestill said:
52bore,
So if im reading your post that 84 gr by weight of blackhorn will be maximum allowed charge for April inline match and possibly for the. Nationals?

So this is interesting i ask 2 very specific questions which directly effects me and get nothing in return as a answer.

Also interesting to me i live 4 miles from nmlra and am a member that will be one of very few effected and hear this decision on this forum.

Like 52Bore mentioned, he's concerned about inlines being outlawed. Sound like the board of directors are gonna run this event in the ground possibly. Hasn't it already been going down hill? After some of the stuff I hear that's going on there it's just not fair in my opinion and I would stray away from new gun manufactures until everything is done fair and organized. I hope you have some help 52bore cause it seems like a tall task.

Grouse said:
What if I show up with an Ultimate rated for four 777 pellets???

When you think about all variables it should be the gun manufactured loads. If Knight says you can only shoot 120grns so be it. You build a custom gun and it's rated at X so be it. That's the fair way to run the competition to me.

Both Ultimate Firearms Inc. and Remington have extensively proofed these hunting rifles for a 4 pellet load of Pyrodex or Triple Seven. The hunting rifles have also been proofed for up to 200grs of BP. However ALL propellant manufactures recommend much lower charges, which is solely based on keeping things safe in unknown rifles and their capabilities.

In fact........... Western will tell you that you that BH209 will not over pressure either the UF or RU rifles:

"George,
Blackhorn 209 will not over pressure either rifle."

"George,
The Remington Ultimate ML can use a maximum of 160 volume (112gr by weight)."

Don W.
CSR Western Powders
406-234-0422
(January 28, 2016 email exchange with Don)

IMO the difference is the UF and RU is, both are proofed and approved by the rifle manufacturer to shoot heavier than "normal" charges. "Normal" being, some hunting rifles are only approved to shoot charges up to 100,120 or 150grs by the rifle manufacturers themselves.

If someone builds a custom rifle in the basement or workshop, then I completely understand the concern by the NMLRA. On the other hand, if the builder wanted to shoot a heavier charge than "normal" or stated by the propellant manufacturer, the burden of proof would lie with the builder to provide the necessary and required documents indicating that the rifle was proofed and safe to the NMLRA if he/she was to shoot on the NMLRA range in a match or comp.

bestill said:
52bore,

It sure does make me wonder.

If Ultimate is allowed to shoot their typical heavy load, i wont be "wondering" any longer. The reason for singling out Blackhorn209 will be quite obvious to me.

Western and Remington may still be working on RU only approved BH209 load data. Once that is released, then what?

ENCORE50A said:
Grouse said:
What if I show up with an Ultimate rated for four 777 pellets???

When you think about all variables it should be the gun manufactured loads. If Knight says you can only shoot 120grns so be it. You build a custom gun and it's rated at X so be it. That's the fair way to run the competition to me.

Both Ultimate Firearms Inc. and Remington have extensively proofed these hunting rifles for a 4 pellet load of Pyrodex or Triple Seven. The hunting rifles have also been proofed for up to 200grs of BP. However ALL propellant manufactures recommend much lower charges, which is solely based on keeping things safe in unknown rifles and their capabilities.

In fact........... Western will tell you that you that BH209 will not over pressure either the UF or RU rifles:

"George,
Blackhorn 209 will not over pressure either rifle."

"George,
The Remington Ultimate ML can use a maximum of 160 volume (112gr by weight)."

Don W.
CSR Western Powders
406-234-0422
(January 28, 2016 email exchange with Don)

IMO the difference is the UF and RU is, both are proofed and approved by the rifle manufacturer to shoot heavier than "normal" charges. "Normal" being, some hunting rifles are only approved to shoot charges up to 100,120 or 150grs by the rifle manufacturers themselves.

If someone builds a custom rifle in the basement or workshop, then I completely understand the concern by the NMLRA. On the other hand, if the builder wanted to shoot a heavier charge than "normal" or stated by the propellant manufacturer, the burden of proof would lie with the builder to provide the necessary and required documents indicating that the rifle was proofed and safe to the NMLRA if he/she was to shoot on the NMLRA range in a match or comp.

I completely understand and only was using that gun as an example.

Squeeze said:
Well, since there are no proof houses in the US, What does SAAMI expect?

True, Doc White got around that by sending them to Browning for proof. I would bet each major manufacturer has a method of proofing. Especially if you might be building a custom and installing a centerfire barrel rated at 100K.

Squeeze said:
that was just testing of Arrowheads new 9/16 breech plug It doesnt say barrel But it is some kind of bull barrel. those pressures were above most barrels. http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/thread/17077/arrowhead-plug

Correct the pressure would have been really high- but it must have been being shot in a Centerfire approved smokeless barrel and of course the fact that it is a Bull Barrel doesn't hurt its survival rate. + it certainly validates Arrowheads plug.

When I blow the picture up it sure looks like a Remington - Walker type trigger... but who knows... Well shoot when I follow your link a picture shows exactly what the action is... And I think he is saying it is a Brux barrel.

35F3F2C8-3688-4A9C-A3C8-08F57D21FBA0_zps2lmntu8a.jpg

Just to turn the subject around a little bit - you think it would be unsafe to shoot BH above the Westerns recommended levels in this rifle?

Once again what Western recommends is to cover their liability in all ML's old and new...

If someone were to show up with this rifle and chose to shoot BH would/should they be forced to shoot recommended levels? when the guy next to them is shooting Hogdgons at much higher levels than recommended.

Just food for thought...

Squeeze said:
Green Mountain barrel shot 5 QL 137k PSI and 4030 fps :d'oh!:

I know or I thought I knew that GM barrels were quality and rated high - but I never could find a GM written rating nor somebody at GM that would say what they were rated at... But it makes sense when you look at the BP amounts they consider safe.

At 137k they are really smokeless rated.

Where you able to find this information...

bestill said:
Pretty confident barrel isn't a green mountain

I agree and I really do not know anything compared to you guys... but I read in his post that he prefers to use Brux barrels

line 7

7) Right now, it’s the standard option on Brux barrels from me. Pac-Nor and McGowen on request for the moment.

He was really testing arrowhead breech plugs

Latest posts

Back