What kind of conical is this?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Someone gave me a few of these about 12 years ago. I have never fired one of them and I do not recall what the name of it is. I was thinking Buffalo Bullet, but I am not sure. What I do like about them is the deep hollow base. I mean that thing is deep, as in perhaps 5/16" to 3/8" deep. This leads me to believe that it will expand upon firing and hopefully expand more upon impact. Is my thinking correct on this?

I inserted this one by hand just a little ways down the muzzle of of my old smoke pole. I found that it easily slides down in, too easy when compared to the Maxi Balls I have shot the most. Is this due to allowance for the base to expand upon firing and will it expand enough to provide a good enough seal for good accuracy. It appears to be made out of fairly soft lead.

Do you think this will make an effective hunting bullet for my .50? Buffalo Bullet full view.jpgBuffalo Bullet hollow base.jpg

Ended up looking, two boxes of the 385s and one box of the 410, flat base and an unopened box of the 245gr ballets.

Jim, you can have the ballets if you like.

John

That looks a lot like the Lee improved Minie. I have the .50 and .54 cal molds. They are very accurate, but you need to work up the right load for them.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010204969?pid=382559

Yeppers, it sure looks like the same one. I haven't weighed one or shot one yet but its on my to do list. If I can work up some good accuracy out of them, I might invest in a mold. My guess is, that base will, or should, expand rather nicely on a big game critter.

Yeppers, it sure looks like the same one. I haven't weighed one or shot one yet but its on my to do list. If I can work up some good accuracy out of them, I might invest in a mold. My guess is, that base will, or should, expand rather nicely on a big game critter.
Because the base is on the back end it contributes absolutely nothing for expansion(unless loaded backwards ! The front profile on a cast bullet expands with pure and hardness dictates rate of expansion along with distance /speed.
A flat nose is preferred in my case for max expansion at BP speeds (no gas check) , a deer hit with a Lyman Plains ,pick the calibers (I have them all) and adjusting alloy at your proffered yardage becomes fairly predictable Bang/flop ! Unlike the hollow base (have them too) that depends on charge to flair base(engage rifling) and thickness of skirt another variable to contend with (lousy SD 's)if you have a chrono) . In short great if your hunting indians and need fast reloads , but not so much trying to increase the fast food take (deer) Ed

Back