What kind of conical is this?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not know that the new and improved Mini were not by large powder charges.
From Track's wen page: Track's improved MINIE bullets were developed by Lyman's staff, with a thick skirt, for heavy loads. Ideal for Enfield and Springfield Muskets, it is allowed in most Civil War Musket matches.
Track only has it in .577

I didn't know it's from a Lyman mold. It's probibly a narrowed down "insert". I don't know the proper name for it.

Last edited:
I'm sure you're aware. there are quite a few lead, cupped base bullets which, I assume, start the expansion in the bore. They are not true hollow based bullets and I guess, that is for strength and integrity of the bullet.

I'm learning a lot from this forum.
The issue or problem is, one doesn't know the knowledge base of the one he is communicating with. I've noticed, sometimes, and I'm guilty of it, people talk down to the other person because they assume the other "doesn't get it." When in reality the other person "gets it", they are just more knowledgeable and better understand the topic.

I hope that made sense.

I'll be the odd man out as I like thick skirt hollow base bullets. I find them very forgiving when reloading over powder fouling as in hitting to the same Point Of Impact. I have a few rifles that will not group flat based bullets to the same POI as the first clean barrel shot if I reload over fouling like in a hunting situation. On the target range I don't mind swabbing between shots but not when I'm hunting. I liked the now defunct Buffalo Bullets super thick base skirts, the Lyman 542622 and Lyman 533476 (modified to drop .541"). In my four .54 caliber rifles only 2 of them( Lyman GPH & Knight LK-93) will shoot a flat based bullet to the same POI over powder fouling in a hunting situation. But they will all shoot to same POI whether the barrel is clean or fouled with thick skirt hollow base bullets like the previously mentioned Buffalo Bullets, defunct Hornady GP, and Lyman's 542622 & 533476. Why this is I have no idea. I have experimented extensively with the two that won't shoot a flat base to the same POI with a clean barrel and a follow up dirty reload (a rebored from .50 to .54 Rem 700 ML & T/C Renegade) with no such success. Fiddling with powder charges, using felt wads, card wads, combinations of the 2, failed to work.
It’s not wise to just rule out a particular bullet type just because you don’t like the look or the concept initially… different horses run best on different courses.

It’s not wise to just rule out a particular bullet type just because you don’t like the look or the concept initially… different horses run best on different courses.
Perhaps not. But it is wise not to choose one where one had to pound so hard when trying to start a particular bullet that it actually broke a ball starter doing so. :)

Last edited:
This the first iv ever seen this round wounder is this style is easier to make
It's a hunting styled bullet designed for the 1:48 twist. The company is either out of business or no longer makes these bullets. Buffalo Bullets also made a Ball-et, designed for the 1:60 and slower twists. It was the size of a round ball with sides. The Hornady "PA Conical" is the closest to it and may be based on it.

I took a lot of deer with both the of Buffalo Bullet Company's .54 cal., 310gr Ball-et or the 425gr bullets.

1672681619925.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a hunting styled bullet designed for the 1:48 twist. The company is either out of business or no longer makes these bullets. Buffalo Bullets also made a Ball-et, designed for the 1:60 and slower twists. It was the size of a round ball with sides. The Hornady "PA Conical" is the closest to it and may be based on it.

I took a lot of deer with both the of Buffalo Bullet Company's .54 cal., 310gr Ball-et or the 425gr bullets.

View attachment 29636
Think I'm going to try and recreate them I have an idea how they were done it will be time consuming but if they work well all worth it

Think I'm going to try and recreate them I have an idea how they were done it will be time consuming but if they work well all worth it
You might just have Accurate Molds make a copy of this mold for you. It’s 25 grains heavier than the Ball-et and has a grease groove rather than the knurled surface of the Ball-et. It’s similarly short, just over caliber length and should be an amazing deer bullet from a TC or similar rate of twist.EF2B7006-6249-4DD7-B19A-AC2DBB5388C5.jpeg

You might just have Accurate Molds make a copy of this mold for you. It’s 25 grains heavier than the Ball-et and has a grease groove rather than the knurled surface of the Ball-et. It’s similarly short, just over caliber length and should be an amazing deer bullet from a TC or similar rate of twist.View attachment 29637
I have a lyman deerstalker rifle I want try different bullets to see what it shoots well

You might just have Accurate Molds make a copy of this mold for you.
First, where did you get the design print of the bullet?
Second, what is the bullet's total height? And where would I find that?
In a .50 with a 1:48 twist, the projectile can be as long as 3/4" & remain stable with that twist rate.

In a .50 with a 1:48 twist, the projectile can be as long as 3/4" & remain stable with that twist rate.
Let me see there was a website I seen that did dimensions like that before for there dies

That's a drawing from Accurate Mold's bullet catalog. They have lots of great looking designs of all weights in their catalog if you want to cast your own bullets - and best of all, if you know what diameter your rifle likes for your purposes, they will build you a mold that casts bullets to your exact dimensions. Therefore no need for a tapered design if you don't want that. The Accurate drawings have dimensions on them, but, because it is a custom mold, you can change any dimension you want to change. Looking at this drawing, the total bullet height is on the drawing - it's 0.53 inches. Accurate's dimensioning format is a bit unusual: A number with an upward arrow next to it denotes distance of the arrow point from the base of the bullet. A number with a right-ward pointing arrow beside it indicates a diameter. Very efficient for what Accurate's doing, but it's unusual in the world of mechanical drawing. Here's the Accurate web page for this bullet: Bullet Design Details | Accurate Molds

Last edited:
You might just have Accurate Molds make a copy of this mold for you. It’s 25 grains heavier than the Ball-et and has a grease groove rather than the knurled surface of the Ball-et. It’s similarly short, just over caliber length and should be an amazing deer bullet from a TC or similar rate of twist.View attachment 29637
That does look like a great bullet for a 1-48 Twist. Another one from the Accurate Molds catalog is the 50-275B. Bullet Design Details | Accurate Molds Idaholewis tested this bullet in a 1-48 TC (can't remember whether it was a Renegade or a Hawkin), and found it to be very accurate.

Latest posts

Back