What Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukkilr

Reaction score
I'm looking for some powder options for our encore arrowhead smokless muzzys. We have been shooting H4198 but are out and none can be found. A buddy had switched to H4895 and likes it better but it also is no where to be found. I was thinking about trying hodgon Varget but heard it gets goofy with big tempature swings.

I'm looking for some powder options for our encore arrowhead smokless muzzys. We have been shooting H4198 but are out and none can be found. A buddy had switched to H4895 and likes it better but it also is no where to be found. I was thinking about trying hodgon Varget but heard it gets goofy with big tempature swings.
N120 is comparable to 4198

I have been shooting some groups with Acc4064. It is a slower powder but ignites easily and produces relatively low pressures.

I shot some groups with a 200 gr. TC 40 cal. bullet in the Harvester HP 40 cal. to 45 cal. sabots with 90 gr. Acc 4064.

QuickLoad gave a pressure estimate of about 21,000 psi, but the velocity measured by my chronograph indicated a pressure of closer to 24,000 psi. The velocity was around 2800 fps.

If you have a heavy barrel, you can stand higher pressures.

IMR4198 is pretty close to H4198.

I'm looking for some powder options for our encore arrowhead smokless muzzys. We have been shooting H4198 but are out and none can be found. A buddy had switched to H4895 and likes it better but it also is no where to be found. I was thinking about trying hodgon Varget but heard it gets goofy with big tempature
What are you trying to accomplish? Bullet weights? Sabotless or sabots? Need more details....

Back