What rifles are people using in the Hunters Match

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to compete last year at the NMLRA hunter match with Barry Paramount (long story why I was using his, the one that I was sent with would not go boom).
But, I do not actually have any good inline rifles myself. All my long range stuff is traditional. I want to break into this as it was a blast to shoot in and well, I wasnt happy with my results so now I have to deep dive down it until I'm happy with my results.

It seems people are all over the place on what they use in these long range matches. Where should I even begin to look when searching for a rifle? I understand that Arrowhead exist, but I don't have 10 gran to drop on a rifle.
So please, school me and learn me something today.

I'm reading the rules about it now. But what can you tell me about this competition? It's always kinda sparked my interest I've never looked into it much. Are smokeless 40 cal guys going up against 50 cal traditional rifles? What are the ranges and how are they scored? Sorry to hijack your post

I'm reading the rules about it now. But what can you tell me about this competition? It's always kinda sparked my interest I've never looked into it much. Are smokeless 40 cal guys going up against 50 cal traditional rifles? What are the ranges and how are they scored? Sorry to hijack your post
I'm not the one to answer this, I've done it one time.

I was able to compete last year at the NMLRA hunter match with Barry Paramount (long story why I was using his, the one that I was sent with would not go boom).
But, I do not actually have any good inline rifles myself. All my long range stuff is traditional. I want to break into this as it was a blast to shoot in and well, I wasnt happy with my results so now I have to deep dive down it until I'm happy with my results.

It seems people are all over the place on what they use in these long range matches. Where should I even begin to look when searching for a rifle? I understand that Arrowhead exist, but I don't have 10 gran to drop on a rifle.
So please, school me and learn me something today.
First thing i would ask is, what is your budget?

The inline hunter match at Friendship is a combination of shooting steel and paper targets.

The steel is chickens at 200m. Pigs are at 300m. Turkeys are at 400m. Rams are at 500yds. 5 of each shot left to right.

Paper targets are at 200yds, 100yds and 50yds. "X" is 1/2moa.

ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS.

There are no caliber restrictions, only BH209 restrictions to 120grs volume.

Not really sure at the moment. Just getting ideas of what I should look for. I understand in firesrms nothing is budget.
I'll tell you this for FACT............... there is no bottom to the rabbit hole.

Once you have the rifle, then you'll end up spending through the ask for a scope. Then you'll find out about true LONG RANGE, such as Camp Atterbury and 1,000yds, and you'll need a new 40moa rail. Of course bullets will run about $2.25 each, primers and of course propellant (BH). It runs about $5+ every time you touch the trigger.

One way to start reasonable is to convert a RUM to a 45cal. Levi has a really great price on that.

https://lrcustomsinc.com/products/remington-ultimate-45-conversion

I'll tell you this for FACT............... there is no bottom to the rabbit hole.

Once you have the rifle, then you'll end up spending through the ask for a scope. Then you'll find out about true LONG RANGE, such as Camp Atterbury and 1,000yds, and you'll need a new 40moa rail. Of course bullets will run about $2.25 each, primers and of course propellant (BH). It runs about $5+ every time you touch the trigger.

One way to start reasonable is to convert a RUM to a 45cal. Levi has a really great price on that.

https://lrcustomsinc.com/products/remington-ultimate-45-conversion
Optics I have handled.
Thanks for the ideas. I have more rabbit holes to dive down.

Latest posts

Back