When Do You Usually Connect??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When Do You Normally Bag Your Deer?

• First Hour of Daylight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid-Day

• Last Hour Of Daylight

• Other (Please comment on when)

• Total voters

Loggy

Reaction score
What time of day do you normally bag (or get a shot at :lol: ) your deer?? Be sure to share your xperiences! :D

Loggy,

I think I have only shot a couple of deer within the first hour of daylight. This could be because of where I'm setting up of course, between feeding and bedding areas etc.. Most deer in the last hour have been while hunting fields. Still, all in all I'd have to say most were in deep woods away from fields between 08:00 and 10:00 AM. :)

I have shot them all the day long. Probably killed most in the morning but then again I am an early riser by nature and like to hunt in the morning.

I voted First Hour of Daylight, I have killed at noon, last hour etc etc but of all the deer i killed the most have been taken early. I am usually in my treestand 1/2 to 1 hr before daybreak.

I would say the second best kill time for me is around Noon when alot of hunters start moving or head back to trucks or camps for some hot coffee and lunch. The deer get moving then again from this massive hunter movement! :lol:

I have alway tried to peg this over the years. I used to hunt mostly in the mornings so that when I killed most of my deer. It DOES seem that now the vast majority of deer I kill are in the evening. That's usually the last hour of hunting light.

All my hunting blinds, both rifle and bow, are built in a area where I can intercept the deer when they are moving from their night feeding areas to the daytime bedding areas.Like everyone else, I have taken deer at other times of the day, but the vast majority are taken in the first hour.

In the morning however not the first hour usually the second or third hour
This is especially true during the rut.
Redclub

Usually first hour of daylight. Bucks are coming in from an all nighter :D and being very nocturnal they are trying to get to their bedding areas and inevitably are caught under "spits" climber come shooting hours. The conversation is usually very short but they do get the POINT :!: :lol: :lol:

Yep Spit, I've killed some of my nicest bucks when it was just barely nuff lite to squeeze one off. Those Big Ole Boys seem to move under the cover of low lite in most situations per my xperience. Some after an "all nighter" even had their tongues hangin out which i graciously left as is! :lol:

I kill most of my deer between 8:30 and 10:00.High pressure Public hunting,deer feed mostly at night,but eat again at these times.

I have killed 2 or 3 mid day, but the rest have prety well ben a 50/50 split between the 1st 2 hours of daylight, and the last hour of daylight.

The bigger bucks I often see between 10 and 2pm. For some reason, they are out trolling the trails during the rut at mid-day.

When muzzloader hunting, I usually set up in an area where I can use small game hunters to keep deer moving. It's an area about four or five acres of thick pines and briars with an opening of hickories in the middle, and surrounded by fields with plenty of pheasants and bunnies in them.

Most the deer I see are late in the afternoon 2:30 pm and after. The ones I see in the mornings are usually moving fast and I do not like moving shots. They seem to have some place in their head that they want to get to and they do not wander around as much as they do later in the day.

Another good time is around noon. All the other guys get up and walk back to their cars or cabins for lunch and they push a lot of deer around.

If the weather is windy and snowing, then any time of the day is good. I like to get on a fresh track and move real slow through the woods looking far ahead. I've caught a number of them in their beds in bad weather.

I usually see more bucks between 12 and 2 pm i usually sit all day...if possible. Just depends really,during the rut they are really active that time of day here in michigan.I do see lots of deer at other times,but by the time gun season gets here after bowhunting ...its all about the horns! :lol:

I can't say that I've taken more bucks at one time over another, however I have with out a doubt seen and taken some of my best bucks in the middle of the day.

Kim

Back