Where Are The Best Scopes Made?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From what Country (Overall) do you feel the best scope optics are coming out of today?

• USA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japan

• Germany

• Korea

• Taiwan

• Austria

• Other (Please Comment)

• Total voters

Loggy

Reaction score
If more than one Country....please list. Try to base your votes on the overall scope industry and what you have experienced across different brands out there as far as overall quality of optics..

From what I am seeing today, I have to vote Japan.

The best of the best are made in Germany and Austria. However there are some real good ones made in Japan and the good ole USA as well.

I'm guessing France will not do well in your poll?
smilygifs1070.gif

You might have a point there R Man. I bot my Daughter a high end Kodak Digital and it came with professional rated German SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH C-VARIOGON lens. Had to paste...couldnt spell! :lol:

I never could afford or see a need for those scopes in the $800 to a couple grand or so. I normally spend in the 3-5 hundred range and per my read alot of the good offerings (today) in that group are Made in Japan.

France, didnt think of listing that Country Randy. I can always modify Poll is we get a heavy French following here. :lol: Wouldnt surprise me if Batchief likes those French offerings. :lol:

Loggy said:
I can always modify Poll is we get a heavy French following here. :lol: Wouldnt surprise me if Batchief likes those French offerings. :lol:

Batchief can weedle out of most anything.

As far as scopes, here is an opinion. We really don't know. :shock:

Though many of us get more emotionally involved with our little plastic and aluminum tubes than would be considered normal, there is no way for the consumer to tell the difference from country of origin alone. Many of the off-shore scope lines are owned and operated by American or European firms. Few of us have EVER seen a scope line, and can say if the Chinese guy is better or worse than the Korean guy working in Japan, or a German engineered scope made in Thailand-- or in Rochester, NY. We just don't know.

There are run-out tolerances, and tolerances as to the machining of the tubes. Seldom stated by manufacturers. There are resolution specifications, just like other optical gear-- but they are not published.

There are lab-tested light transmission specs-- but, they are not clearly stated. Some "specs" include the non-visible light frequencies as well. I sure don't care about that. :?

Scopes are built per print-- with allowable machining tolerances that directly affect repeatability of adjustments. The consumer cannot compare them.

Every single scope design is a unique individual. We would like to think that all Elite 3200s are the same or similar, all VX-II's are the same or similar, all Conquests are the same or similar. They are not, a different tube means different components. A different design means different compromises. The human eye is a poor judge of these things, and the scope makers know that. Most of us cannot tell the difference between a VX-III, an Elite 4200, or an Elite 3200. It is nearly impossible, unless compared side-by-side. Then, it is still subjective.

Which scopes have leaf springs, which the proven superior coil springs? We don't know in most cases. What is the best erector tube design? No one talks about that-- and that is what allows a scope to hold its zero.

Just like binoculars, if we REALLY want a bright, clear scope-- large objectives and low magnification rules, regardless of brand. But, we don't really want what we think we do.

Most of us just cannot look through a scope and tell whether it is multi-coated, or fully multi-coated-- much less how many coatings are used. Much less the difference between 4, 5 , 7, 10 coatings. Quality of machining and quality of assembly is not something we can see under normal circumstances.

Economy of scale comes into the equation, as well as perhaps the most important point in determining the cost of a scope: the cost of hand labor.

Well, only 3 days into the poll with over 100 Reads and ONLY 13 Votes cast looks like the Germans are in the lead with Japs & Austrians in a tie.

Must be mostly open sighters here. :lol:

No Leupold fans??

Just put curser over vote button & hit left click...thats it! :lol:

Well, only 3 days into the poll with over 100 Reads and ONLY 13 Votes cast looks like the Germans are in the lead with Japs & Austrians in a tie.

Loggy,
I know what you mean. I don't understand why some won't simply VOTE! I'm a Leupold FAN, YES....But I also know where the best scopes are made...That's Austria!

:D Thanks Chuck! At least I know where 1 of the 3 votes came from. :lol:

I got a couple Leo's too but no Austrians YET! :lol:

I use leopolds and never had a problem. Where I hunt deer it can be very miserable plus been to Alaska in real tough conditions. Some of these are 20 years old and I never have to adjust them. Several shots before season and good to go. However with ML I have to use 1X so there I use a Nikon and its OK. Never tried a holosight. Yet
Redclub

I chose Germany. Maybe it's a heritage thing? :) I like Zeiss Conquest.

charlie

Swarovski = Austria Zeiss = Germany I dont know about Leica, Schmidt & Bender, IOR, Nightforce, Kahles. I do know not Japan or china. IMO these are the best.

charlie said:
I chose Germany. Maybe it's a heritage thing? :) I like Zeiss Conquest.

charlie

It seems Rochester, NY should be regarded as the citadel of scopemaking. :!:

laker said:
Swarovski = Austria Zeiss = Germany I dont know about Leica, Schmidt & Bender, IOR, Nightforce, Kahles. I do know not Japan or china. IMO these are the best.

Schmidt and Bender-Germany
IOR-Romania
Nightforce- L.O.W. Japan
Kahles-Austria
Leica-Germany

Loggy and 6x6. Its very hard to comment on where the best scopes are made because a lot of folks do not have experience with them. Most people have one or two good scopes and then a bunch of garbage on the cheap guns. I voted USA because thats where MY best scopes come from. Are they the best ,I don't know, probably not. Thats why you are not getting a lot of votes. IMO. Great topic though I just might get one of those. Which one?
Redclub

:D Interesting to get all your input on this. I was just interested on your overall feeling on this as i know many probably havent owned German & Austrian. Sorta like cars today...some just have perception that today the highest quality cars (overall) are coming out of XYZ Country.

I can remember a number of years ago I would never buy a Jap Car (remember those first Hondas, Datsuns :lol: ). I still dont own one but gee, they sure are selling like hotcakes and appear to be of a quality that alot think are better than American. Go figure.

It would be interesting some time to actually tour a German , Jap etc. optics plant.

A side note, I bot a new Browning BPS couple years ago and guess what... Made in Japan as also was a Browning SS A-Bolt also bot a few years ago. Wonder if John Browning ever dreamed that some of his guns would be coming out of Japan...and by the way possessing Outstanding Quality!! :lol:

Appreciate all your input. The Germans are leading the pack!

Loggy and 6x6. Its very hard to comment on where the best scopes are made because a lot of folks do not have experience with them.

You're probably exactly right. My priority has always been to buy more scope than rifle! You can't hit what you can't see, RIGHT? :wink:

Great topic though I just might get one of those. Which one?

I really have no idea. :? There are so many really good scopes out there for $400.00, it IS hard to justify a $1000.00 scope. I still like the Zeiss Conquest line and if compactness is an issue, come of the Leupolds REALLY hold their own.

Got ZEISS today!!! ZEISS Lens Cloth's that is. :lol: Sams Club had special on BULK purchase. Got enough for couple of lifetimes. Prepacked in foil... lens cleaner cloths especially formulated for anti-reflective multilayer coatings. NICE STUFF...maybe ZEISS scope will be next. :lol:

I don't feel that I know enough about scopes to vote. :oops: I have looked thru some high dollar scopes, although not for a side by side test. In my foggy memory, the best scope that I've looked thru was a Hakko 32x- 56mm. Nightforce and Swavorski (sp?) are just as good to this untrained eye. I wouldn't refuse to use any of them!

Chuck, have you done any side by side comparisons between any of the ones that I mentioned?

Chuck, have you done any side by side comparisons between any of the ones that I mentioned?

No I have not Scott. I have always considered the Nightforce line of scopes to heavy/bulky for my tastes to they never made the trip to Athens, AL.

Back