Williams new fiberoptic globe?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So went home yesterday with the idea to change my knight over to the new globe fiberoptic sight. Before I did, I set it side by side with the current fiberoptic post on the gun. The new sight is certainly smaller than my existing front fiberoptic post. However, it is not as bright in dim light. Let me qualify that by saying if you are aiming toward the light, it is just as bright. But if you are aiming away from the source of light, it is dimmer. That and the fact that my current set up is already sighted in and my hunt is just 4 weeks away makes me hesitate to change.

This test was done inside with light filtering in through window. I will have to do the same test outside at dusk to make a final determination. I guess I was hoping it would be something like the truglo but that was unrealistic.

More to come and I will post some pics showing them side by side.

Went out today and shot again using my original front fiberoptic post and the 6 o’clock hold. Was also using an O ring in the primer pocket for the first time. My gun has a really deep pocket so gave the O ring a try even though I have a Knight bolt rifle. Worked well but only fired 10 shots. Well enough that I think I will stay with the O ring.

I raised the sight just a bit and then shot my last 2 shots at an elk target at 100 yards. My aim point was aprox 1&1/2” lower than POI. I think I am good out to 120 so I quit there!

0388BCB2-6D33-47AD-9A67-C616494FE4D8.jpeg

So is this new globe front a change in the original sight or another option?

Found it and placed my order!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great comparison picture. Do they have a globe for a 3/8 dovetail ?

I don’t know that Williams has a globe that would fit a dovetail. Maybe someone else knows of something. The Williams Western Precision globes all screw directly to the barrel, I believe.

I ordered the original Western Precision sights a few months back for my CVA Accura V2, and the front globe was so canted to the left I returned it. I also didn't like the gigantic size and thickness of the front globe. Then I read about the low light problem and didn't try them again. I was going to use my Bighorn again this year until I saw these fiber optic versions on their site just now, so I'm debating about trying them again, but that front globe is a little crazy. My Accura still doesn't have any sights so I didn't use it last year--my nephew gave it to me without sights.

Now just my opinion, but with the new design of the hood area and the fiber optic I really do not think low light is going to be a problem.

The only thing that I really do not like is the bulkiness of the front sight. At this point I will stay with the Williams Streamlined ramp, fiber optic sight and the Fire sight hood.

Green-Fiber.jpg

@sabotloader I'd like to do this setup on Accura with a rear peep. Williams only shows Firesight fits Optima, doesn't list Accura, but I think it still fits? They only show it in red, I'd rather have green, did you swap the red for green? Guess I'll have to contact Williams to figure out how to do your setup on my Accura, I like that.

I ordered the original Western Precision sights a few months back for my CVA Accura V2, and the front globe was so canted to the left I returned it. I also didn't like the gigantic size and thickness of the front globe. Then I read about the low light problem and didn't try them again. I was going to use my Bighorn again this year until I saw these fiber optic versions on their site just now, so I'm debating about trying them again, but that front globe is a little crazy. My Accura still doesn't have any sights so I didn't use it last year--my nephew gave it to me without sights.

@sabotloader I'd like to do this setup on Accura with a rear peep. Williams only shows Firesight fits Optima, doesn't list Accura, but I think it still fits? They only show it in red, I'd rather have green, did you swap the red for green? Guess I'll have to contact Williams to figure out how to do your setup on my Accura, I like that.

I did swap out the red fiber optic rod with a green rod of the same size. Pretty easy operation.

I do not know enough about CVA's to know if there might be differences in the sight mountings.

Talking to Willimas sounds like a good plan.

mike

Back