Williams new fiberoptic globe?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from the range with new sight…

I am setting up a CVA V2 for a Colorado elk hunt: 12 shots @100 yards. I use a 6 o’clock hold and had a decent open sight group. Just started playing with my new ladradar but had both 300 grn Thor and 285 Universal Fir Fury shooting the this group. The bullets group very similar…Fury was faster and held down range velocity much better…Higher BC but Thors were much easier to load. The sight gave a bright clear sight picture and green fiber optic did not cover target @100 yards.

110 grn BH209 by volume (ten load average = approx 86 grns by weight) with both bullets. Velocity was average about 2040 with the 300 grn Thor and 2080 with 285 grn Fury.

This is the group:

View attachment 22494
That group is from a 50cal muzzleloader?

Ended up buying the kit for CVA and an extra green sight from cfnparts. Thanks guys, will see how my eyes like using open sights!

Now just my opinion, but with the new design of the hood area and the fiber optic I really do not think low light is going to be a problem.

The only thing that I really do not like is the bulkiness of the front sight. At this point I will stay with the Williams Streamlined ramp, fiber optic sight and the Fire sight hood.

Williams Front Hood.jpgWilliams Front hood 2.jpg

Green-Fiber.jpg

What do you think about the low light visibility? Is it pretty bright?
I like it. For me, it’s usable till about 20 minutes after sunset. Not super bright but way better than a non-fiber optic. That’s with a small (.050) aperture. If my eyes would allow me to use a larger aperture, I think I’d be good a little longer.

Now just my opinion, but with the new design of the hood area and the fiber optic I really do not think low light is going to be a problem.

The only thing that I really do not like is the bulkiness of the front sight. At this point I will stay with the Williams Streamlined ramp, fiber optic sight and the Fire sight hood.

View attachment 22590View attachment 22589

Green-Fiber.jpg
It is shockingly bulky but the fine dot is really nice.

I like it. For me, it’s usable till about 20 minutes after sunset. Not super bright but way better than a non-fiber optic. That’s with a small (.050) aperture. If my eyes would allow me to use a larger aperture, I think I’d be good a little longer.
I have found that with any open sight I have to quit about 20 min after sundown anyway. Need a scope to shoot later. AND don’t like to shoot that late anyway because I want to see how the animal reacts and where he goes. “Crack of dawn” morning visibility will be a bigger issue.

Last edited:
Back