Barrel length & velocity

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raghorn

Reaction score
How velocity gain would 4 inches of barrel length produce ?

Lets say, a 24? barrel vs. a 28? barrel, assuming hunting loads, 100-120 grains of BH 209 behind a 300 grain sabot ?

Not so much you might notice..

I heard the same rule of thumb. 50 fps per extra inch of barrel unless you have maxed the load out.

What powder and what load can make a big difference.
A light load of fast burning powder such as Pyrodex P or 777 FFF would not make much difference in velocity between the 24 and 28 inch barrels.
On the other hand a heavy load of RS or 777 might still be burning when it reached the end of the 24 inch barrel.

I'm not sure if this even applies to ML's using subs, but In the Remington Catalog in their ammo section they used to have a chart addressing velocity vs barrel length. IIRC it was 10fps in the 1000-2000fps range; 20fps in the 2000-3000fps range and 30 fps per in for the 3000+fps range. Unless you buy a choronograph to prove otherwise, you're looking at approximately 40fps total. So nothing to be concerned with for the extra weight and cumbersome pointability of the longer barrel.

Near as i can tell, from my data of measured speeds; the speed of a 300g Gold Dot pushed by 105g BH is 1795 fps from my X7, and 1855 fps from my Triumph and Accura. I believe the X7 has a 24" barrel, and the Triumph has a 28" barrel; the Accura has a 27" barrel. So, it seems the loss/gain of 4" of barrel is aboout 60 fps.

Thanks Ron, that?s exactly what I?m looking for.
Considering an X-7 vs. Standard Omega (24? vs. 28?)
Primary target will be elk.
60 FPS is not bad, I can live with that.
I sure like shorter, lighter rifles for carrying around the mountains.
A few ounces can feel like a ton after a 8 mile hike at 9,000 ft.

Our hunting camp is at 6100', and our boy does hunt above 8000' in the Talus. I killed an elk up there once; that was enough. It always seemed weird to us that the elk were up there with the pika. Hope you get more than a raghorn, Raghorn.

Roughly 15fps per inch in a 50cal seems to be about right with most subs and common bullet weights.

Very Heavy or light bullets with max or above max recommended loads might vary a bit more.

Latest posts

Back