300g Hornady FPB--Carpet, Plywood, Jugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday the 300g FPB was shot through the carpet, plywood, and into water filled jugs. Load was 80g Blackhorn, and the range was 25 yard. No sabot was used. The bullet penetrated 4 jugs, and bounced off the fifth, and i couldn't find it. There was a piece in the second jug, and there was a piece in the third jug, but the bullet i just couldn't find. Yes, i looked, and looked, and looked some more, but just couldn't find it.

The video.

This morning i was in the neighborhood, so went and looked, and looked for the bullet some more. Because of the brush with woody stems, and the tall grass it was tough hunting. The metal detector found several spent 45 acp cases, and several unknown buried chunks of metal. At the very last place i looked, i found the bullet. The detector said there was a chunk of metal 0" deep, under the grass, and wow, wow, wow, it was the bullet. The bullet was found about 15' away from the last jug toward the shooter, but off to the side some. It weighs 240 grain.

IMG_0551.JPG

"At the very last place i looked, i found the bullet."

I hope so. Hate to think you would have kept looking after that! :)

Actually pretty impressive penetration/performance on the FPB in your test. Since I have taken 4 elk with them, I am not surprised.

The elk that tested my FPB bullets the most was a cow I shot at a very steep uphill angle. I hit the lowest part of the upper arm bone (the humerus us just above the elbow) which is just about the biggest bone in the body. It busted the bone and continued into the chest. It did pretty much break up the bullet but I found a substantial piece that went through the heart. Cow went 30 yards.

Ron thanks for testing that as I requested... Top notch guy.

I too have been impressed with the 350 gr but the 300 looks good too. Glad you found it...my last few deer have fallen due to the fpb. They shoot great in my x7 and both my whites...

At a cost of 15 bucks or so they don't break the bank either.
Steve

Back