Praise the 300 XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adirondack46r said:
MrTom said:
I do XTP 250 grain .452s in my CVA pistol. My rifles both see 300 grain non-mag .430s. Rifle groups tighten up nice with the 44 cal fodder, but the 452 numbers are just fine if I have to use them. I get super reliable expansion with the non-mag XTPs. My buck last fall taken with the pistol was drilled with a 250 grain and he walked about 40 yards. How I have no idea as his chest plumbing was completely gone. The heart was floating around in a cavity of soup and the lungs didn't exist. He was a 15 yard shot from a stand. I'm not looking for anything else to run thru any of my guns.

What sabot do you use with the 300 grain .430s? And what rifles are you shooting those out of?

Thanks,
46r
I use the Harvester green crush ribs with some guns (Triumph) and the smooth EZ Load green with other guns (Optima). It just depends on the fit.

adirondack46r said:
MrTom said:
I do XTP 250 grain .452s in my CVA pistol. My rifles both see 300 grain non-mag .430s. Rifle groups tighten up nice with the 44 cal fodder, but the 452 numbers are just fine if I have to use them. I get super reliable expansion with the non-mag XTPs. My buck last fall taken with the pistol was drilled with a 250 grain and he walked about 40 yards. How I have no idea as his chest plumbing was completely gone. The heart was floating around in a cavity of soup and the lungs didn't exist. He was a 15 yard shot from a stand. I'm not looking for anything else to run thru any of my guns.

What sabot do you use with the 300 grain .430s? And what rifles are you shooting those out of?

Thanks,
46r

I have a TC Impact and a CVA Accura. In both I use the green Hornady sabots with very good luck in both rifles. I'm going to try some crush ribs to see if anything changes to the positive but the green horandys are fine in both of my long guns with the .44 300 gr XTP.

Wednesday morning the bullet was shot some more. The rifle was the same as the OP, as was the load, and the location, and the shooter. There were some changes. The scope was replaced with a fixed 4 power scope. It was very much warmer than it was in the OP; it was hot. Still, the three shots were made without waiting, and done as quickly as the rifle could be reloaded. The first shot was from a dirty breech plug, and barrel. Shame on me, but because the barrel is already pitted, i don't seem to care much about keeping it clean. This time the range ended up being 201 yard.

IMG_2528.JPG

What's not to like about the bullet??

I will likely be using the mag version for deer season this year. I shot them for the first time sabotless out of my 45 over 120gr of BH209. I only had time for 3 shots. The first from a clean barrel was an inch lower than the next two from a warm, fouled barrel and those two were overlapping. I could NOT have shot 3 shots back to back with sabots and had a group that tight...even considering the first clean barrel shot. The next outing I will push it back to 175-200 and see if I can zero it there without being too high at 100.

Back