Barnes TSX Triple Shock 300 gr. .458

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Omega45 shot some at paper and they were really accurate. The small hp and fps requirement for expansion has me on the fence about using them for hunting.

Those are intended for top end 45/70 (Ruger #1) speeds or above (450Marlin).

They shoot GREAT. They load really nice too using a Harvester CR sabot for .451-.452 bullets. You will not bust a vein in the forehead trying seat them. Load was 100 or 110gr BH209 in my sons TC Triumph. Two cut the same hole and one about 1/2" higher at 100yds. They are flat base and do not require a special sabot. GM54-120 advised they are actually made to expand at higher velocities then our muzzleloaders can push them. Barnes never got back to me when I emailed them if they would "X" being pushed at muzzleloader velocities.

If the MMP's do not give you the accuracy you are looking for try the crush ribs.

I currently have some Barnes 454 Casull .451 250gr XPB FB bullets that I need to test. They look just like a MZ (big hollow cavity) but they have a cannalure.

Let us know how you make out if you try them.

I e-mailed Barnes on the topic of using thes bullets in a muzzy and here is their response.

Cliff,

Yeah the .458cal bullets will expand reliable at muzzleloader velocities, we do hear all the time from guys that do it, how well they work. I would recommend using the .458cal(socom) 300gr TTSX, .458cal 300gr TSX FB or the .458cal 300gr Original.

Thanks, Josh

Josh Springer | Consumer Service
Barnes Bullets, LLC

I feel better now that you got a response from Barnes on the .458 TSX. I do know they are an accurate bullet on paper. Let us know how they work out for you if you try them. I will try to shoot some again next range trip which I hope will be tomorrow, as long as the rain holds off.

Thanks for sending Barnes an email. If you go with the Socoms they are a little finicky on which sabot to use. I use the yellow crush rib and they do load tight but they shoot tight too.

Thats kinda funny because the Barnes O 300gr Semi Spitzer is super tough and at normal ML speeds expansion its iffy. I know for sure because i used them a lot. They worked but i cant confirm they expanded everytime. Its one tough bullet so aim for bone. There is a version of the Barnes O 300gr that is a flat point, it may expand at ML speeds more reliably but i never shot them.

Any of the guys using them in a SML will tell you 2000fps minimum for reliable expansion. The 458 SOCOM though does appears to be a winner and its made for 1900fps MV.

Here is the Barnes .458 300gr TSX. I will attempt to recover one next trip.
458tsx.jpg

I have seen some recovered Barnes Origionals and was not impressed. I think the all copper TSX will give better results.

Omega45 if you get aq chance could you measure the loaded diameter of one of the SOCOMS in the yellow CR? I have been working around a loaded diameter of .506, that seems to work best from my gun.

I just got .507-.508 in mine with a slight amount pressure on the loaded sabot. No pressure was .509 Since the sides are banded the loading pressure might feel a bit easy than the measured size would indicate.

They were really tight in my Extreme 50 but in a MMP orange they were nearly perfect.

By squeezing the calipers with a Socom in a yellow CR I get .506.

PM me your address and I will send you a few.

Yeah my measurement was squeezed till it would not squeeze anymore.

Omega45 said:
Yeah my measurement was squeezed till it would not squeeze anymore.

You kinda have to do it that way with this bullet and sabot. Its a bit harder to get a perfect reading.

I would choose the 275 gr or 300 gr Lehigh DOAs over this bullet as I am not sure it would expand consistently at ML velocities especially as the distance increases. Both of these bullets are on my short list to try this year in .50 DISC Elite.

jsteurrys,

I am going to attempt to recover one of the TSX from the dirt mound behind the 100yd target at my range. I had plans on shooting today however it was raining. I had sent Ron a few for his jug test however he advised he has already tested enough Barnes bullets and did not want to test them. He may have shot them for accuracy though???

The .458 300gr Socoms have been tested and are known to expand at muzzleloading velocities and are cheaper than the Lehighs. Ron has a jug test video with them and GM54-120 used one for a harvest with excellent results.

A sample pack of Socoms, TSX's and sabots are in the mail for Hornet22savage to test in his gun.

Omega45 said:
jsteurrys,

I am going to attempt to recover one of the TSX from the dirt mound behind the 100yd target at my range. I had plans on shooting today however it was raining. I had sent Ron a few for his jug test however he advised he has already tested enough Barnes bullets and did not want to test them. He may have shot them for accuracy though???...............................

They are still here sitting on the desk in front of me. My source of test jugs had dried up, and i didn't want to use them to test a bullet that already been tested. It seems to me that most Barnes bullets will expand the same reliable way on critters or jugs, is why is wrote what jsteurrys quoted. In my mind Barnes bullets are a proven. I used what was left of the jugs to test unknown bullets. When i build up a supply of jugs, i will be willing to test the TSX, but they are at the end of the chain.

Testing bullets is a fun chore for me.

I understand Ron, I enjoy your tests. Very informative, especially the 200yd Deep Curl test!

Latest posts

Back