Fury 225 gr Star Tip MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteurrys

Reaction score
Has anybody used the Fury 225 gr Star Tip on deer? If so, how did they perform? My gun likes them better than the plastic tip 2p version.

I've killed several deer with the basic 225 star tip they perform very well ,none of my guns shot them better than the plastic tip 225, I haven't shot the basic 225 star tip in several years but I'm a definite believer in shooting what your gun likes. I think it's easy sometimes to see a basic model compared side by side with an improved model and not realize the basic model may shoot better in your rifle that's what should matter.

In my Patriot they shoot a bit tighter than the 195 grain, .40, Barnes Expanders in the same blue sabot. Using the smokeless load I plan to shoot for deer there's about 1/8" difference in a five shot group at 100 yards, so I can do either or, but I'll probably do the star tip.

My Patriot does not like sabots or maybe its just me. I cannot get a good group with my .45 cal with the barrel and i have tried alot of powder/bullet combinations with the light blue harvester sabot. However, shooting bullet to bore is another story. It loves the fury bullets, 265 gr. Stb and 275 black tip. It shoots moa with either at 100 yds. It really loves the 275 with 58 grains of vvn120, veggie wad, and fed 209a primer at longer distances, up to 300 yds. A real deer killing machine. Thank you Mark Woodman and team.

My Patriot does not like sabots or maybe its just me. I cannot get a good group with my .45 cal with the barrel and i have tried alot of powder/bullet combinations with the light blue harvester sabot. However, shooting bullet to bore is another story. It loves the fury bullets, 265 gr. Stb and 275 black tip. It shoots moa with either at 100 yds. It really loves the 275 with 58 grains of vvn120, veggie wad, and fed 209a primer at longer distances, up to 300 yds. A real deer killing machine. Thank you Mark Woodman and team.
With greatest respect to both you and Mark, I'll mention that when you shoot a bullet that is bore sized, a bullet of the same weight is longer when it is a smaller diameter so it can be used in a sabot. All the more reason the longer bullet must fit snugly in the sabot, for perfect alignment, and be a firm fit going down the "wiped between shots" barrel (a needed hassle if using sabots with BP and most substitutes).
However, I have never shot full-on smokeless powder in a ML. So here's a helpful heads-up: I had to Google what vvn120 was, and I'm sure a great many people on this forum didn't know either. And for the same reason, on a ML forum, please always state whether the powder is grains weight or grains volume.
My suspicion would be that with the sabot/bullet combination you used you were not getting enough "hold" of the saboted bullet in the bore at the moment of ignition, when using BH 209, for example -- or, you were not getting precise alignment of your bullet in the sabot. But with the correct bullet hardness, the bore-sized bullet, alone, expands at the moment of ignition, providing the "grab" that smokeless powder needs to build pressure and thus ignite properly. And the greater any given smokeless powder's peak pressure, the more easily the bullet obturates to grip the bore's rifling precisely, and the more exactly the pressure builds at each shot.
Mark knows what I am talking about, I'm sure, and I hope you do too.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Thanks for that tip, ElDiablo, and thanks for your many other posts. I hadn't realized that we are in the "smokeless muzzleloading" section here, but now see that category at the top of the page. Nonethelss, I see all sorts of posts thruout the now-apparent forum sections, which is the thing that caused my comment about wt. vs. vol. It's been said so many times on this and other forums, and it's true that so many readers are by no means broadly knowledgeable, so I think it's a good thing to do at any ML forum, no matter the category.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Back