Anybody else shoot a Peifer 50 cal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kytimberman

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone esle on here has a Peifer, I got mine around '94, and it was touted as the most accurate M/L made at the time. What do you shoot in yours? Mine drives tacks with pyrodex, but I am trying to find a less corrosive sub that shoots well in this gun. I have some American Pioneer fffG and BH 209, going to try those.

I have seen pictures of them in books. They are very cool looking.

I suggest you also try some Triple 7 powder.

kytimberman said:
Just wondering if anyone esle on here has a Peifer, I got mine around '94, and it was touted as the most accurate M/L made at the time. What do you shoot in yours? Mine drives tacks with pyrodex, but I am trying to find a less corrosive sub that shoots well in this gun. I have some American Pioneer fffG and BH 209, going to try those.

why if it drives tacks :?: just clean the gun up after your done.
but it you want to look for another tack drive load that's all good :)
i don't have a peifer but i use all pyrodex mix's and 777 2f and 777 3f in the guns i have each one likes something different.the least corrosive powder is bh 209 but you pay extra for that luxury.good luck and have fun in your search

4EF3D3A0C3B14FDFBBDCA8E5CB4DD5C2.jpg

is yours like that one?

I don't think the plunger locks forward when fired so I would imagine BH209 would not be a good choice (although I don't think it would be dangerous to shoot reasonable loads of it).

Swiss 3F true black would be less corrosive than the Pyrodex. Two months completely exposed in Jamaica would probably be less corrosive than Pyrodex. :D

Underclocked said:
4EF3D3A0C3B14FDFBBDCA8E5CB4DD5C2.jpg

I don't think the plunger locks forward when fired so I would imagine BH209 would not be a good choice (although I don't think it would be dangerous to shoot reasonable loads of it).

UC: Do you think that with:

1. The really short travel distance of the hammer/plunger (drawing looks like hammer is in cocked position)
2. Pretty stout hammer spring (45#)
3. Non-cupped hammer face that shouldn't catch too much blowback force

image_zpsa88b427f.jpg

the main concern with BH would be the primer getting pushed back a little and making the primer holder jammed and/or tough to remove? Just thinkin' out loud.

Swiss 3F true black would be less corrosive than the Pyrodex. Two months completely exposed in Jamaica would probably be less corrosive than Pyrodex. :D

:lol: :lol:

Yup, UC, that is the guts of a Peifer. Guess I will just have to try the BH 209 and see how it does, but I don't see why blowback would be any more of a problem with that powder vs. any other.

Blackhorn209 seems to put a longer pressure "pulse" on the primer. That can cause the anvil in the primer cup to back out. You may end up with a primer stuck in the rifle but.....its only a guess.

It does look to have a very short travel on that hammer and that spring will certainly help. Might be okay, I don't know... proof is in the pudding. :D

kytimberman,

The TS-93 is a great rifle, darn near bought one back in the early 90's, but bought a White instead.

If the primer cup gets blown back out of the battery cup, just re-cock and dry fire it back into position, then remove the holder. Should work?

Back