1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade (PRB & “i Bullet” Testing)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I did some more short range accuracy testing with the STOCK 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade. Just more proof that These Old 48 Twist Rifles are EXTREMELY Capable :) Ready for Longer Range Testing Now, I am hoping to shoot 400-500 Yards with it next

60 Yards
zUMnlkbm.jpg

2zJEjrZ.jpg

I shot My ”i Bullet” And .490 & .495 Ball, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder
I1kYXpQ.jpg

The “i Bullet” 3 Shot Group on top, .490 PRB in the Middle and .495 PRB on the Bottom
8XHFsXG.jpg

Get them 48 Twist Rifles out Fellas :lewis: as you can see They are VERY Capable. This isn’t a Fluke, I have shot Several of these Old TC Renegades & Hawken‘s now, .50 & .54 Cal, They have ALL Shot like this. Like I say, They need a Good Bullet, Good Lube in the Grooves, Good Powder, and i swear by the use of Oversize 1/8” Wool Felt over powder Wads for a Better Gas seal, and to protect the Bullet Bases, The rest is up to YOU the Shooter to do your Part.

What is the weight of your "I" bullet? Did you lube both grooves?

429 Grains Cast of PURE Lead, I do Lube both Grooves :lewis: The ONLY Bullet that I don’t Lube all Grooves on is the TC Maxi Ball, I lube the Bottom Groove Only on them

This is from Fridays shoot ,sighting in one of the 2 I got (thanks snapbang) 90 grains OE 3f with my 54 cal Lyman Plains/pure lead with a felt wad / Idaholewis (secret NASA modified) lube . Once I got on paper and got the 3 shot group I figured I will probably kill some deer with it, as long as I get someone to haul the bench!IMG_0001[1].JPGIMG_0002[1].JPG

I've heard of plenty of lubes but not NASA lube. Is it tungsten disulfide, or another mix modified with beeswax and crisco? I'm asking cause I am going to try maxiballs in my 50 cal. traditions barrel. tried 495 rb and lamb tallow and pillow tick patches with fair results at 100 yds. Tried the real bullet...horrible results. I would settle for a 3-4" group at 100, but would like better if possible. My loads are 80-85 grs. 3f goex. this should be no problem when others use 80 grs. of swiss 2f which is hotter than goex.

This is from Fridays shoot ,sighting in one of the 2 I got (thanks snapbang) 90 grains OE 3f with my 54 cal Lyman Plains/pure lead with a felt wad / Idaholewis (secret NASA modified) lube . Once I got on paper and got the 3 shot group I figured I will probably kill some deer with it, as long as I get someone to haul the bench!View attachment 16260View attachment 16261

What kind of scope base is on the pictured rifle? On my phone, it looks like you attached a section of Picatinny rail to the top of the Renegade's barrel? Or, is that a Thompson/Center base that attaches using the 2 rear sight screw holes, and the factory scope base hole that is drilled & tapped into the breech plug?

Also, is the scope offset to the left to allow the ocular bell of the scope to clear the hammer of the lock?

Thanks.

I did some more short range accuracy testing with the STOCK 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade. Just more proof that These Old 48 Twist Rifles are EXTREMELY Capable :) Ready for Longer Range Testing Now, I am hoping to shoot 400-500 Yards with it next

60 Yards
zUMnlkbm.jpg

2zJEjrZ.jpg

I shot My ”i Bullet” And .490 & .495 Ball, 80 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder
I1kYXpQ.jpg

The “i Bullet” 3 Shot Group on top, .490 PRB in the Middle and .495 PRB on the Bottom
8XHFsXG.jpg

Hey Lewis,
Is that a Hadley Eyedisc that you have screwed into the Lyman 57 receiver sight?

I've heard of plenty of lubes but not NASA lube. Is it tungsten disulfide, or another mix modified with beeswax and crisco? I'm asking cause I am going to try maxiballs in my 50 cal. traditions barrel. tried 495 rb and lamb tallow and pillow tick patches with fair results at 100 yds. Tried the real bullet...horrible results. I would settle for a 3-4" group at 100, but would like better if possible. My loads are 80-85 grs. 3f goex. this should be no problem when others use 80 grs. of swiss 2f which is hotter than goex.
NASA lube is sold by Bullshop bullets. The modified lube is a mix that Ideholewis developed using the nasa lube mixed with Stihl synthetic oil. Look back through old posts. The recipe is on here somewhere. Works AWSOME, I might add.

Hey Lewis,
Is that a Hadley Eyedisc that you have screwed into the Lyman 57 receiver sight?

No, it’s a Williams 1” Target Aperture with .050 Hole. I like the Larger Eyepiece, it helps me some with peripheral distraction. A Williams Aperture will fit a Lyman Sight, But a Lyman Aperture will NOT fit a Williams. The thread pitch is REALLY Close, but it’s different :)

I have a traditions deerhunter 50 caliber. Seems like I can't find a good combination for it.
490's 495's round balls. Maxi hunters 275 grains. None of them shoot good.
Last time out with it, I had 3 Hornady PA conicals in my range box. Those 3 bullets actually shot pretty decent at 50 yards. I won't be hunting with that gun this year.
Definitely needs more range time.

Back