100 yard St.Louis Hawken & New Rest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Took a couple shots at 100 yards with my Traditions St.Louis Hawken & its normal hunting load, but ONE change up. I used the thinner .015" bridges best patches because I was out of lubed .020" patches.

Accuracy was still outstanding for open sights and patched balls at 100 yards.

The new Nest Rest by Birchwood Casey did perfect and allowed for plenty of adjustment and comfort. I thought because they are so light weight that they would blow out from under the rifle during recoil but that did not happen one bit. It was nice not having to shift sand around after each shot. Even better was not having to lug around 20lbs of kitty litter!

After today, I will go back to my .020" patches, clean the rifle completely, oil it and hang it back up on the wall until hunting season. ZERO reason to keep blowing powder through this one.
img_9416.jpg

img_9417.jpg

st_lou10.jpg

I have plenty of rifles to sight in, so this rest certainly will get more use very soon.

That's an amazing :face: target with open sights FG!  I'd pack that bad-boy away 'til hunting season. :Red tup:
So-o-o-o...no difference at all with your 100 yard point of impact whether you use .15 or .20 patch :?:

Marty, none whatsoever other than the .020" offering a slightly tighter group.

Damn it Jon would you slow down on your purchases (good stuff that I could use) just waiting to get moved.

Back