#11 cap or musket cap?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpgimage.jpg
I’ve been using the 1081s pictured but bought the CCIs last week from a cabelas. I’m going to try them out and compare the two. The CCIs say “multiple use” on the pack I got, not reenactment use. But I’ll weight some before and after I shoot to compare the amount of explosive material in them

1611339980817.png1611339980817.png
So apparently CCI is indeed making these with intentionally less charge. So now I guess the ones I already bought will be used for clearing my nipple and breech between swabs. I'll stick with my RWS 1081s or #11mags

bstorric, thanks for the information. Since I was able to score 600 CCI #11s the other day, I've swapped out my musket cap nipple on my 50 Renegade for a #11 nipple and will shoot them. I only shoot Ffg Goex black powder and that stuff is easy to ignite. When I run out of it, I'm going to try Swiss brand.

my wife and I are retiring next spring to an area between Ashton and Island Park, right off the Warm River. Will live out our lives there. I have no idea about hunting opportunities around there. I'm interested in deer, elk and bear. If you can provide me with any hints on where to start looking, I'd appreciate it. Shoot straight, friend.

Warm River is a beautiful area. That corner of Idaho is pretty close to Yellowstone. I hunted the area around Island park for many years. Henrys lake is a great place to fish. All of the area over there is crawling with Grouse and I have hunted them there many times.
I killed my first elk west of Island park near Sheridan Res. Kilgore was a cool little store. Hunters would bring in pictures and stick them on the walls. I had a few up there for years. I haven't been in that store in about 30 years.
When you are exploring from Henrys to Ashton keep your head on a swivel. Every year grizzlies are found in the area. Some are killed by hunters.
There is a fair amount of Muzzleloader opportunity for deer and elk. I love the area but can't take the winters.

@Idaholewis are these the ones you're saying are good? If so I might get some and end my cap woes for years to come.

View attachment 12456

Ended up not getting these, they were going to charge $70 for dangerous goods postage. $200 for 1000 caps started losing its value.

Ended up checking the local gunshops and bought 400 Remington ones. I know they aren't as good as the RWS, but it's what I can get.

Ended up not getting these, they were going to charge $70 for dangerous goods postage. $200 for 1000 caps started losing its value.

Ended up checking the local gunshops and bought 400 Remington ones. I know they aren't as good as the RWS, but it's what I can get.

That is really high priced! The RWS are 10 to 12 Dollars per 100 here, The CCi Magnum 11s are 4 to 5 Dollars per 100, I shoot more of the CCi Magnums than anything, They are Reliable, and don’t cost a Fortune. I have seen Remington Caps, But i have never used them

That is really high priced! The RWS are 10 to 12 Dollars per 100 here, The CCi Magnum 11s are 4 to 5 Dollars per 100, I shoot more of the CCi Magnums than anything, They are Reliable, and don’t cost a Fortune. I have seen Remington Caps, But i have never used them

I'm assuming these days most brands have their stuff together and all produce reasonable caps? I've never come across CCI caps in this part of the world.

My Renegade didn't like musket caps. Lots of misfires and crushed caps. #11 caps consistently fire with 2f Swiss. With Pyrodex I had some problems so it's nothing but black powder in the side lock.

My Renegade didn't like musket caps. Lots of misfires and crushed caps. #11 caps consistently fire with 2f Swiss. With Pyrodex I had some problems so it's nothing but black powder in the side lock.

We can't get substitute powder in Australia anymore, only Wano real BP. so that works out ok.

I don’t use anything but Remington. There was a time long ago that the priming pellet might fall out of one every few hundred but that was long ago. They’re very reliable and consistent for me.

I don’t use anything but Remington. There was a time long ago that the priming pellet might fall out of one every few hundred but that was long ago. They’re very reliable and consistent for me.

That's good to know, mine say 40% hotter. I'm assuming that's a good thing but hotter than what I don't know, maybe the old ones maybe a cold cup of coffee! I have 700 now so that will keep me occupied for a while.

Now just need to work on how to keep it functioning in rain and I'm all set.

I've always shot #11 caps on my T/C Renegade .50 with Goex Ffg black powder and conicals. Now I can't find #11 caps anywhere, but musket caps are easy to find and sell for about $9.00/100. I have a musket cap nipple. Is there any downside to shooting musket caps as opposed to #11s? Should I just try to ride out the storm and then stock up on #11s when they're available again?
Musket caps are much easier to get on and off as well I use them on my tk-2000

You may have the same problem I had when I changed stocks on my Renegade. Never had issues shooting #11 or Musket caps until I switched stocks. Found out thanks to Idaholewis that the hammer was not hitting the nipple square. Once I switched back to the original stock, my problem went away. This is why Lew hates it when people sell parts to their Hawken or Renegades. I now know why. While the parts are the same, they don't always align up properly.
Maybe if you post pictures with your hammer down over the nipple, we may be able to come up with a solution. If I didn't have the original stock. I would have had to heat and bend the hammer to get it to align with the nipple. I know Idaholewis has a couple of pictures that show where the hammer needs to be bent.

That's good to know, mine say 40% hotter. I'm assuming that's a good thing but hotter than what I don't know, maybe the old ones maybe a cold cup of coffee! I have 700 now so that will keep me occupied for a while.

Now just need to work on how to keep it functioning in rain and I'm all set.
Yes, those have been marketed that way for some time. They’re very good caps in my opinion at least 40% hotter than the old ones. I think... ;)

I use only musket caps. Many years of blacktail hunting in the Washington rain forests made me a believer. Just make sure you use RWS 1081 caps and if you shoot a sidelock be sure to wear some eye protection. I once had a cap fragment break the skin on my lip. Don't ask me how it got there cause I don't know but it would have been bad news in the eye.

Back