12/20ga slug guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
What caliber would you buy and why? Since 20ga and 12ga saboted slug rounds usually carry the same payload, I assume a bit more accuracy can be had with a 20ga saboted round.. something like the Federal 20ga/ 300 Barnes Expander.

I am considering adding a 20ga barrel to my Encore at some point in the future. Can anyone talk me out of a 20ga rifled barrel?

Thanks in advance..

Doohan

Concerning Gauge...

12ga and 20ga guns are both virtually equal in terms of maximum accuracy, and trajectory. The largest difference is simply in downrange energy. After 100-125yds I consider the 20ga to be a marginal whitetail round. This is simply due to the fact that shot placement can be questionable as a result of the inherent inaccuracies of the gun/gauge combinations. At those distances I believe a 12ga is unquestionably the better choice.

Concerning ammo...

For premium ammo, (Remington Core Lokt ultra's, Winchester Partitions, etc ), you can expect 20ga to be 2-4$ more per 5 shot box. Expect premium 20ga ammo to run 14$ a box vs 11$ for 12ga (Of course deals can be found)

Concerning weight...

As far as I am concerned there is only two reasons to buy a 20ga, less weight, and reduced recoil vs the 12ga.

Brands...

As for the Federal Barnes Expanders...there are much better options available (in terms of ballistics) assuming a particular gun can shoot them well...ie, Core Lokts and Partitions.

-------------------

My personal recommendation...I would go with the 12ga as the better all around gun, and the 20ga as a specialty short range/stalking gun...

My choices... 8)
SlugGuns.jpg

Care to ID those, JC?

Also, are you saying that the 20 gauge is less accurate, or that since either of them are going to be innacuracte, you just want the raw energy potential of the 12 gauge to do more damage when you make a poor shot?

Doohan said:
Can anyone talk me out of a 20ga rifled barrel?

Doohan
Nope.
I have 20ga Encore barrel and love it. It likes Fed 3'' with Barnes Expanders.
It is very light and kicks almost as my Steyr scout (without a flames). :lol:
Nothing you can not handle. :wink:
12ga gives you a little more distance but where I hunt 20 is enough.

Mountain Man said:
Care to ID those, JC?

Also, are you saying that the 20 gauge is less accurate, or that since either of them are going to be inaccurate, you just want the raw energy potential of the 12 gauge to do more damage when you make a poor shot?

MtnMn,

Browning A-bolt 12ga
Tar-Hunt RSG Mountaineer 20ga
Savage 210 12ga

"since either of them are going to be inaccurate, you just want the raw energy potential of the 12 gauge to do more damage when you make a poor shot"

Relatively speaking, at longer distances....Yes!

Browning A-bolt 12ga

What's your favorite load for this gun.

Mine likes the Winchester Partition Gold - 2-3/4", but I have not tried the Federal Barnes Expanders yet. :)

Browning A-bolt 12ga

Mine likes the Winchester Partition Gold - 2-3/4", but I have not tried the Federal Barnes Expanders yet. :)

IndianaHunter said:
Check the data on Lightfield's 20 ga....

Sorry Pat,

Unfortunately I will have to strongly disagree with you if you are recomending shooting the Lightfield 20ga's from a ballistics perspective. There are simply far to many superior 20ga shells on the mkt to justify using the lightfields unless a specific gun simply cannot shoot other brands of slugs well. This chart below should display how antiquated the ballistics of the Lightfields are when compared to today's top modern alternatives...

Lightfield Hybred 20ga vs Remington Core Lokt Ultra 20ga, 2-3/4 shells
Both shells sighted +2.0" at 50yds...

.........................50...........75.......100......125......150yds
Lightfield.........+2.0........+1.8........(0)......-3.6.....-9.3
Remington.......+2.0....................+2.7..................(0)

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
Browning A-bolt 12ga

Without going into great detail, this is actually my third A-bolt that I have owned. Except for my original A-bolt, I have not spent much time testing the guns at the range. When I purchased my original A-bolt the Lightfields were the only premium slug in town. Therefore I have never really spent a lot time with that gun and current manufacturers ammo.

While this might strike some as strange, I will explain the reason why.

Very simply, between owning A-bolts one and two, I purchased the Savage 210. (At that time the Savege was my only dedicated slug gun.) I have literally spent hundreds of dollars and many long days at the range testing this gun with virtually every brand of ammo available. My results concluded that this gun can unquestionable shoot MOA,(regardless of whether I consistently can).

Knowing this fact it makes little sense for me take the time to do the same range work on another gun that may possibly be capable of shooting MOA. Add to this the fact that the only side by side range tests where I have seen the A-bolt and the Savage shot together showed the Savage to be more accurate. (When comparing groups shot with 5 different kinds of ammo the Savage was on average more accurate than the A-bolt, also the Savage shot the single best group of all guns and all ammo combinations that were tested.)

Therefore the reason I currently this A-bolt is mostly a combination of a function of sentimental value, as well as for investment purposes.

When I used a slug gun I prefered 20 ga because of the lower recoil. After I sold my 20 ga I got a slug barrel for my 12 ga 870 because it was easier than getting a new slug gun. I never hunted with that barrel though because shortly after getting it I got hooked on muzzleloaders. I sold the slug barrel and haven't looked back. Now my 870 only gets called up occasionally if I need a shotgun. If I ever get a small game muzzleloader set up then it'll likely go as well.

My wife uses a 870 20 ga with a rifled barrel and 2 3/4 shells when she deer hunts. She also prefers open sights so long range isn't an option anyway. She did try muzzleloading but decided it wasn't for her.

JC,
Quick question for you. How do you like that Tar hunt? I know someone that that shotgun's his dream gun for deer hunting except he won't part with the money to get one.

Pat,

Let me first say I have only had a limited opportuntity to shoot it at the range so far....

However, I could not be happier. After years of reading all of the hype, I actually was prepared to be let down by it when I recieved it. After all how can one rifled shotgun be that much better than the rest?

Let me just say...It is no stretch of the imagination to say that the Tar-Hunt is to shotguns, as the Nula is to Muzzleloaders!

jcchartboy said:
IndianaHunter said:
Check the data on Lightfield's 20 ga....

Sorry Pat,

Unfortunately I will have to strongly disagree with you if you are recomending shooting the Lightfield 20ga's from a ballistics perspective. There are simply far to many superior 20ga shells on the mkt to justify using the lightfields unless a specific gun simply cannot shoot other brands of slugs well. This chart below should display how antiquated the ballistics of the Lightfields are when compared to today's top modern alternatives...

Lightfield Hybred 20ga vs Remington Core Lokt Ultra 20ga, 2-3/4 shells
Both shells sighted +2.0" at 50yds...

.........................50...........75.......100......125......150yds
Lightfield.........+2.0........+1.8........(0)......-3.6.....-9.3
Remington.......+2.0....................+2.7..................(0)

Hey JC, What's up? Well let me give you a bit more information on my recommendation of the lightfield 20 ga slug.

Personally my first requirement for any ammo I will use to hunt deer with needs to meet a few basic criteria.

It needs to deliver at least 1000 ft. lbs of energy at the range I will comfortably shoot a scoring buck. As far as buck?s go, if I cannot comfortably field score it I will not shoot it. For me this is about 100 yards or so. Also my area?s rarely gives up much more than that anyway.

Can I be comfortable with its field accuracy, quick shots, off hand, poor weather or lighting conditions, etc for me this is 2? at 100 yards or so?

Your data shows a point blank projectile at 100 yards. Checking further you'll see it meets with the minimum 1000 ft. lbs. of energy. And in my old Winchester 1200 pump they will shoot 1 ? or better groups from a bench all day long thus meeting my personal requirements.

Keep up the good work,

Pat

Pat,

While the lightfield slug may meet your minimum requirements of 1000ft lbs of energy at 100yds, (barely). I personally would much rather have the 1500ft/lbs of energy offer by the Remington Core Lokts!

In the case of a less than perfect shot, the "free" extra 50% increase in ft/lbs delivered by the Remington is a welcomed safety net.

JC

jcchartboy said:
Pat,

Let me first say I have only had a limited opportuntity to shoot it at the range so far....

However, I could not be happier. After years of reading all of the hype, I actually was prepared to be let down by it when I recieved it. After all how can a one rifled shotgun be that much better than the rest?

Let me just say...It is no stretch of the imagination to say that the Tar-Hunt is to shotguns, as the Nula is to Muzzleloaders!

Thanks, I'll have to tell him I know someone with one. :D

Oh Pat,

I almost forgot to mention one other issue with the Lightfields...Wind deflection!

(Let me preface this discussion by pointing out the fact that, at least in this part of the country, the average wind speed in the months of our deer seasons, (November-January), is over 10+mph on a daily basis.)

Assuming a steady 10 mph crosswind the Lightfield 20ga slug faces approximately 6 inches of wind deflection at 100yds. Compare this to the Remington's that have closer to 3 inches of deflection at the same range and you can quickly see yet another reason why I strongly prefer the Remington even for limited distance use.

JC

THKS PAT,

I try to do my best...I figured you could probably use some light reading after a hard days work.... :mrgreen:

Back