12/20ga slug guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I originally shot the Lightfields back in the mid-1990s out of my Tar-Hunt that I used at that time. Tar-Hunt recommends the Lightfields at that time and in its day it was very much an improvement over the BRI's sabot slugs at the time. Of coarse shotgun slugs have change alot since that time.

My biggest problem with the Lightsfields back then was that every year they would change the shell. They went from no bass to high bass and they looked and shot different each year. Every year I would have to sight in the new version of Lightfield. Rumor was that they were farming out the manufacturing of these slugs each year.
:(

Yea, I find it sort of ironic that I shoot a Tar-Hunt, but I am on outspoken critic of the Lightfield shells. I felt sort of bad when Randy Fritz ask me what I shot in the gun and I had to explain my position on the Lightfields. While I am sure he agreed with my points, the subject then got changed rather quickly... :wink:

It bothers me a bit that every time I have to enter the "Lightfield" site to get to Tar-Hunt's webpages. I just hate to see the two conected. I hope that Tar-Hunt's competetive edge never fades likes Lightfields has...

I also have a Tar-Hunt. It shoots very well. I took a buck at 137 yards this last season with it. The factory stock is nice but since I like to tinker I also have an exhibition grade Richard's thumb hole stock that I pillar bedded and added a Decelerator recoil pad and glassed the action. The factory stock also has the Decelerator as a standard item. I do have the Jewel trigger, it is excellent.

I also have an exhibition grade Richard's thumb hole stock that I pillar bedded and added a Decelerator recoil pad and glassed the action.

I have never seen a Tar-Hunt re-stocked with a thumbhole stock, bet it is nice to handle and shoot. :!:

Photos I will try to post soon when my daughter can help me after her prom this week. The TarHunt is a 2004 model RSG-12 with a Jewel trigger and a Leupold scope with Conetrol rings and bases set low enough that the scope just clears the barrel.
I never had a thumbhole stock before, it works well off the bench.

Yes, I was the very lucky, very happy winner of that TarHunt.

Ahh... I saw you at Kramers, maybe you were picking it up for the first time?

jcchartboy said:
Hunt 4,

What kind of Tar-Hunt do you have...any pictures?

I do not own it anymore. Sold it when I got serious about muzzleloading. :oops: I had a RSG in 12ga with a black McMillan stock with matte metal finish.

Hunt 4,

I hear ya....I have the Mini-Me version in 20ga... 8)

Doohan.....?????
Kmam.jpg

Doohan: Yes it was sent to Kramer's for pick up. That is always a nice shop to stop in at. It is nice to have such a shop right in the town I live.

Jims-
I was there that day and remember seeing you with that gun.. I knew right away it was a Tar-Hunt... It had a Leupold scope on it and I remember hearing you say you won it!

Sure was a nice looking gun!

Regarding the initial question in the post, I say go with 20ga if weight and recoil are an issue. If they aren't then go with the 12ga.

In regards to Lightfield slugs, I for one could not be happier with them. I have been shooting the Lightfield Hybred EXP 12Ga 2 3/4" slugs out of my Ithaca M87 Deerslayer II for at least 10 years now. The Ithaca is an 1 1/2" shooter at 100 yards with them and I've taken deer out to 130yds.

Because they shoot so well I rarely try any other slugs. However, just today I shot a box of the Winchester Premium Platinum Tip 400gr 2-3/4" slugs. I've been curious about these for a while now and wanted to try them. It was kind of windy today so I only shot at 50yds. The Winchesters couldn't even touch the Lightfields out of my Ithaca. I put 5 slugs in about a 2 1/2" "group." Five Lightfields at 50 yards always punch one gagged hole, (unless of course I yank one).

My guess is that since the Ithaca has a 25" barrel with at 1:34 or 35 rifling twist that it might like the "slower" slugs (1454 FPS) like the Lightfield EXP. I recall reading that the newer slugs that have hit the market in the last few years like the faster twist barrels, (1:28 or so). The main reason I wanted to try the Platinum Tips is that they are at the slow end (around 1700 FPS) of the newer slugs on the market today. Like I said, I was not impressed at all.

My Ithaca likes to be fed Lighfield Hybred EXP's and I ain't changing it's diet :D

MK...

A couple of points....

First, I shoot a Savage 210 with a 24" barrel and a 1-35 twist rate. The gun shoots exceptionally well with both Remington Core Lokt and Winchester Partition's, two of the fastest slugs on the market. This means that it is certainly possible to shoot these faster slugs in slower twist guns. However I do agree that in general a faster twist would be preferable.

Second, the Winchester Platinum Tips are not really great shooters out of most guns. While I am not sure why, they just aren't...

Third, if your shots are inside of 100 yds, the lightfields are all you will ever need. However, past 125 I could never justify shooting at live game with them. While I have yet to shoot at any deer past 100yds I want to be as reasonably certain as possible that I can make a clean kill, should the shot present itself in the future. For me, due to the Lightfelds trajectory, it simply does not fit that bill.

JC,

Thanks for the information. You have peaked my curiosity. Comparing the Remington Core Lokt and the Winchester Partition Gold, which one does your Savage like the best and what kind of trajectories and accuracy do you get with each?

As you say the Lightfields are more than enough out to 125 yds and at about $4.00 more per box it would be a hard sell for me to switch to either the Winchesters or the Remingtons. But I'm interested in trying them for comparison now since you say you've gotten good results out of your 1:35 twist Savage. I never really considered trying them before since I'd heard they liked faster twist barrels. The fit of the slug/sabot to the barrel may be the key factor rather than the rate of twist.

I'll pick up a box of each and try them out...just another excuse to do some more shooting.

I seem to get slightly better accuracy out of the Remingtons. However, they are both relatively comparable in terms of trajectory. (Actually the Rem is a touch better)
As far as accuracy I generally can shoot just under 2" groups at 100yds. I should note though that I often shoot under less than ideal temp/wind conditions though...
Here is a good example...I failed to allow the barrel to cool properly between shots on a 95 degree fall day. This causes diagonal stringing in this particular gun, yet I still can't complain with these results...(also note the perfectly concentric holes...no signs of stability problems with this gun/slug combo)

108_0887.jpg

Back